Suggestions for a hiking holiday pls

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestions for a hiking holiday pls

We want to go away for a few days in August to go hiking (ie must have hills). Looking for somewhere not too hot (or wet), or too far away and not to "difficult" to cope with (english speakers without chinese visa). Any suggestions from those of you who know this region better than us?

Gunung Kinabalu, Sabah, Borneo.

Depending where you start, you can spend between a weekend to a week. Great seafood in Kota Kinabalu and hot springs in Air Panas are great to relax afterwards. And you will never again find the chance to make it above 4000m so easily (in sneakers if you want, although I recommend hiking boots). AirAsia flies directly from Macau.

Only downside - it is not as if weather on such a summit is reliable. Made the trip once in perfect condition and once in pouring rain. Enjoyed both, though.

Yes Kinabalu is a great idea, it's a nice big hill and not too hard to do...Can easily be done in a day but then you miss out on the sunrise thing.

I've done it both ways and I personally enjoyed doing it the same day better because I avoided the morning rush and crowds and the sunrise thing is very much hit and miss. I got a not so nice sunrise the first time and clear sky in the afternoon the second time and i didn't need to get up at some ungodly hour.

The springs are nice, lots of other hiking trails in the park and you can also go to the orang utan sanctuary or go diving a short plane ride away.

Good standard of english in town, nice food, a few resorts if you want to relax, golf courses, tennis, that sort of thing.

Thanks - great reminder. We had wanted to go there when we lived in KL - will look into it.

Well, I found some discounted direct flights and booked up for 4 days - any other info you have would be appreciated? For example, how do we get a guide (if they are still required - were when we last looked at it!). How long does it take to climb (regular hikers but not exactly in the first blush of youth!). Did you stay at the hotel on the mountain (Latan Rata)? Should I have checked bookings for this kind of stuff before I booked the flights (???? abit late but better to know now).

Mount Kinabalu travel guide - Wikitravel

That should answer most of your questions

Just some feedback - we just got back. Did Kinabalu the "traditional" way - including the ungodly second day up at 2:30am and got to the top for sunrise except it was raining hard and no sunrise to be seen! I'm really impressed if you can do it up and back in one day - it nearly killed me doing it in two! (And how do you manage to get around all of the restrictions etc? Just tell them you are going for a "short walk" or something?).

Anyway, great suggestion. I think I enjoyed it. I think it might be one of those things you enjoy more after all the aches and pains have subsided.....

Good to know you enjoyed it! It definitively is exhausting, especially if you go for sunset instead of sunrise. We did this in 2003, tipped the guide 100 ringgit extra and everything was fine. Walking down in the darkness aint that great though....

You can also do some serious hiking here in Hong Kong. Maclehose Trail Stage 3,4 and 7 are quite a workout but can be done each in 4-5h on a weekend afternoon. The map publication centres in Yaumadei and North Point have excellent hiking maps.

Yes, the best way to do these things is to just go and deal with the consequences afterwards. Nothing like playing the innocent tourist who can't communicate.

I gave up a long time ago trying to ask permissions to do things because when in doubt, the usual policy is to say no. Much simpler to apologize after the fact and pay a little "fine".

As to the times, top men under three hours, women and old guys 3:30 to go up and down. In some ways, it's just as hard doing it in two days, many people are quite sore the second day and the first time I did it, I wasn't impressed with getting up in the middle of the night for a sunrise that never came. On top of it we left later because I knew it would take about half the time they said but we were passing or getting stuck behind tons of slow people. Between the choice of seing a possible sunrise with loads of people and being by myself on top with clear blue shy in the middle of the day, I choose the latter...

gillesk - you are clearly much fitter (or younger!) than I am! We took 14 hours all up (4.5 to laban rata; 5.5 laban rata to top return and then 4 down) and I do not think I could have done it any faster. And we DO hike every weekend here in HK and have done a number of overnight walks in NZ, Aus and USA so I consider myself to be moderately experienced (if a little plump these days!!!). I really felt the altitude - from about the 5th km I was out of breathe and never really able to breathe again until we came down past that spot!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast