Like Tree11Likes

Getting in and out of the same MTR Station? Do you get charged?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I've seen around Kowloon side warning signs with a penalty fee of HK$30, the idea is to stop hawkers.

The website says you may be charged for over 20 mins in & out at the same station but refers to another document not available

Once I had gone to MongKok from Wanchai on mtr and back, without exiting at mong kok station, just met a friend on the platform and boarded the train back to Wanchai, wasn't charged.

just called MTR customer service. If you return to the same station within 20 minutes, it is $3.40. More than 20 minutes is $10 charges.

Watercooler and SalseroHK like this.

Yes that's what one's charged now, back then it wasn't so..

we tested it yesterday and got charged for $9.6.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Once I had gone to MongKok from Wanchai on mtr and back, without exiting at mong kok station, just met a friend on the platform and boarded the train back to Wanchai, wasn't charged.
    I think the MTR staff will usually ignore you if they think you are just there waiting for a friend and you won't loiter there for too long (i..e hours). If you look like just the average commuter, they are not going to mind. What the staff will watch out for or the hawkers who carry lots of trinkets and stuff to sell. Then they will stop them.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 12-06-2013 at 11:06 AM.

I am planning to have my helper drop my son to a mtr station for me to pick him up. No need for her to get out from the gate, so she can just go back home. Wonder how much she would be charge if she exits from the same station she got in after an hour ... would it be better if she exits the gate and returns?

Last edited by gataloca; 21-12-2017 at 11:34 AM.

By MTR rules single journey ticket is limited to 150 min, so you can take mtr from 1 station and return to the same within 150 min without problem, before exiting just pay the visit to the customer service and handle the ticket, you'll be charged few dollars extra
    Did so many times. buying a ticket to the next nearest mtr station, but actually traveled 10 stations more, and later returned back to my origin. Same is applicable to octopus.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Yes that's what one's charged now, back then it wasn't so..
    My understanding is it was changed because couriers were basically staying in the barriers and ferrying stuff to and from station to station, with local delivery people, or the recipents at the stations to meet them at the gates

Quote Originally Posted by resurection:
    By MTR rules single journey ticket is limited to 150 min, so you can take mtr from 1 station and return to the same within 150 min without problem, before exiting just pay the visit to the customer service and handle the ticket, you'll be charged few dollars extra
    Did so many times. buying a ticket to the next nearest mtr station, but actually traveled 10 stations more, and later returned back to my origin. Same is applicable to octopus.
    If you enter and exit the same station within 20 minutes, you will be charged the minimum fare which is around $3. If you enter and exit the same station longer than 20 minutes you will be charged $10. There is no need to visit the customer service and it will be automatically deducted (using octopus).