Tips needed for Prague & Budapest

Tips needed for Prague & Budapest

I am planning a trip to Prague & Budapest for Xmas holidays. Will fly to Prague and spend abt 5 days before taking a train to Budapest. Another 5 days will be spend in Budapest before heading back to Prague to catch flt back to HK. Does anyone has any tips to share? (transport & accomodation)

Is it safe to take the overnite train fm Prague to Budapest?

Go to the Bone Church outside of Prague - surreal experience but interesting. Also watch out for pickpockets.

Make sure you have REALLY warm clothing. It'll be darn cold in central europe that time of year.

The overnight train should be fine although be careful with your valuables - I did meet a guy when I was inter-railing around europe (many years ago) who'd been robbed clean overnight on the train.

The hot baths in Budapest are great - even in winter.

Stay here in Prague. Right at Charles Bridge and if you ask for river view it's fantastic. Go to the main square, find a guide, and take a good 3 hour walking trip of the city to get an excellent insight into the history.
    I took a train from Budapest to Prague a few years back, think it was like 4 hours or so. It was sweltering so horrible experience but fine if conditions are ok.

I wholeheartedly second MovingIn07's recommendation for a trip to the baths in Budapest- definitely not to be missed. We stayed on the Pest side, I sort of wish we had stayed over in the Buda hills. The Pest side is very flat and modern, the Buda side is much more charming.

If you have a dark side the Medieval Torture museum in Prague is, um, unique. I hated it but my husband thought it was great fun.

(We took the train from Prague to Budapest, no trouble whatsoever.)

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

I also went to Gordon Ramsay's Maze restaurant in The Prague Hilton. Once in a lifetime (for me anyway!) and absolutely mouth-watering food!
    In Budapest The Terror Museum is an eerie and spooky experience. Former Secret Police HQ.

The terror museum (Budapest) scared my socks off! Awful but fantastically done. We stayed at the Marriot but it was a wedding gift so don't know about prices. Nice place. A boat trip on the Danube goes without saying.

Always count your change in Prague. We were endlessly ripped off and ended up just holding out our hands until they forked over the whole change!! Can't tell you much about the place though - we were there for a European football game and spent most of our time drunk on absinth - eek!! The green fairy is a mean girl!

Have a great trip!

There's a great wine tasting place in Budapest - we were there in Feb & it was a great way to warm up!! Cost about HKD150

Thermals definitely needed.

I was in Prague in May - Bones church was great - if the weather's OK - boat trip is fun too.