Like Tree62Likes

Shenzhen suggestions

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Only those with proof of HK residence can get a visa here I thought. It says on the website that all people without HK residency must apply in their country of residence.
    It does say that, but that regulation is not currently enforced. There are also agents who will get non residents a Chinese visa.
    kimwy66 likes this.

How young is young? A massage is always a good option - particularly if they've never had one. I went to Water Cube a few years back (right by the Lok Ma Chau station) but there are others. Quite a surreal experience!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    How young is young? A massage is always a good option - particularly if they've never had one. I went to Water Cube a few years back (right by the Lok Ma Chau station) but there are others. Quite a surreal experience!
    <shudder> i will never go for a massage in SZ again: typically poor massage technique coupled with others getting 'special' services whilst their children played nearby (this was at Water Cube also)...

Quote Originally Posted by Prefab Sprout:
    Shenzhen is very safe and very child friendly.
    This quote must get the award for most misleading quote in geoexpat history, yikes.
    East_coast and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    This quote must get the award for most misleading quote in geoexpat history, yikes.
    Care to expand?

If you take care of the pickpockets and keep an eye on you valuables and specially you fancy phone it's relatively safe. I had people opening the zipper on my rucksack while walking in the center of Shenzhen. Take care and you are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    It does say that, but that regulation is not currently enforced. There are also agents who will get non residents a Chinese visa.
    Yes, we have a lot of visitors at our office who get their China visas in HK and aren't residents.

it's not worth it.

rather get a China visa and do Xian and/or Beijing.

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    it's not worth it.

rather get a China visa and do Xian and/or Beijing.
    Agree

Shenzhen is a post industrial city cum industrial city all rolled into one. Newer parts in the west are OK but bland - apartments and malls - while the old centre is gritty and grimy. The outskirts still has brutally ugly factory zones.

Shenzhen is also the most expensive city in China. Some may argue Shanghai /Beijing but that is more around maintaining an expat lifestyle rater than just living.

The best thing about Shenzhen are the exits from the City. Ranked in order

1) All land borders to HK
    2) Ferry to Hong Kong
    3) Shenzhen Airport
    4) Shenzhen North High Speed train station
    5) Bus station!!!

If they are in HK for a while they should get a single entry visa (not just a Shenzhen FTZ visa) and see a nice part of China. Yunnan Province tops my list of nice place to go. The locals are more open and friendly. LiJiang and Dali are pretty. Fly from Shenzhen
    Last edited by East_coast; 06-06-2014 at 08:21 AM.
    Watercooler likes this.

She can't do that, it is a day trip only, because she has to return to NZ for the start of her course the day my husband arrives back from France, and the dog won't look after himself while she swans around Yunnan or Beijing.

She has lots of suggestions now for a day trip to Shenzhen thanks people. At 19, I suspect she is more interested in the delights of Lan Kwai Fong, but this will fill in an empty day.

I told her about the BBQ place that Obama's half brother owns and she said she won't go on principle. Apparently Obama isn't cool even in NZ.

East_coast and Watercooler like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast