Like Tree8Likes

Travelling to Ho Chi Minh City next month...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Travelling to Ho Chi Minh City next month...

Has anyone just come back from travel in Vietnam?
    I planning to meet a bunch of mates over there for a bucks party, just trying to think if this is a wise decision at the moment considering recent anti-Chinese protests etc..
    Will be staying inside Ho Chi Minh City only.

I'm Australian born Chinese, if that makes any difference..

Just came back from Danang.. no issues there. Canadian born Chinese I just kept a low profile and wasn't flashy. Hardly any Main landers or HK travellers when I went but quite a few Singaporean

Sent from my Z30 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lingc:
    Just came back from Danang.. no issues there. Canadian born Chinese I just kept a low profile and wasn't flashy. Hardly any Main landers or HK travellers when I went but quite a few Singaporean

Sent from my Z30 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Flights should be cheaper then! But I haven't found them to be that cheap...
    Anyway, thanks.. At least I know a couple of Viet swear words in case it's needed hehe

Words of advice.

Keep eyes front , back, sides for people who want to rob, scam or befriend you at their pure own benefit.
    Wear a man bag, deep over your should across chest with the bag bit ( complete with belongings ) away from the kerbside. Keep elbow firmly over bag. No Wallets to keys or valuables on wrist, fingers or in pockets.
    Buy your own drinks and don't accept from anyone else. Seriously. I've travelled there for more than a few days and saw a lot. Don't bring much clothes. Buy them cheap and bargain hard like you know the biz at the Bin Thanh markets. Shirts, shorts and luggage is cheap there, quality better than on the mainland.

At night. When the hoards of mopeds come screaming down the streets, keep your strong arm over your belongings and keep away. Walk with only your group of mates. Better they be drunk than you, as they will get mugged first. HCMC is not safe. By all means go, but keep wary. And sober. Or armed with Muay Thai training.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Words of advice.

Keep eyes front , back, sides for people who want to rob, scam or befriend you at their pure own benefit.
    Wear a man bag, deep over your should across chest with the bag bit ( complete with belongings ) away from the kerbside. Keep elbow firmly over bag. No Wallets to keys or valuables on wrist, fingers or in pockets.
    Buy your own drinks and don't accept from anyone else. Seriously. I've travelled there for more than a few days and saw a lot. Don't bring much clothes. Buy them cheap and bargain hard like you know the biz at the Bin Thanh markets. Shirts, shorts and luggage is cheap there, quality better than on the mainland.

At night. When the hoards of mopeds come screaming down the streets, keep your strong arm over your belongings and keep away. Walk with only your group of mates. Better they be drunk than you, as they will get mugged first. HCMC is not safe. By all means go, but keep wary. And sober. Or armed with Muay Thai training.
    Funny the different perceptions. I wandered round the streets there and felt perfectly safe.

Perhaps my favorite city in Southeast Asia. Was there about two months ago and had a blast; far less bs than Manila/Jakarta/BKK.

Ha... I go there all the time. Perfectly safe and the food/service is amazing. Hands down one of the best cities in the world. The people are friendly, polite and HAPPY. The food is way better than Hong Kong. Full of character and culture.

Apart from Bangkok, there is no city I would rather live in.

Cwbguy and jayinhongkong like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Funny the different perceptions. I wandered round the streets there and felt perfectly safe.
    Yeah I was there same time last year with a bunch of mates and had an amazing time.
    Seriously fell in love with Viet food, it's so simple, refreshing and tasty. Really hate the Viet food here in HK when I can't even find a decent authentic Banh Mi.

I must admit we were a bit lucky that we didn't get into trouble.. We went out clubbing nearly every night for a week and some nights got out of hand. I remember stumbling outside of the club drunk and stepped into a massive brawl in progress. Bricks were flying everywhere and dudes walking around with faces soaked in blood.

Anyway, I think you have to be a smart traveler anywhere you go, so just wondering if it's a smart decision for a Chinese looking guy to be in HCM so soon? HK travel alerts still has Vietnam in Red status..

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Words of advice.

Slightly overkill.

Although on my first visit i did have my wallet nicked by two masked girls on a scooter when i was drunk.

Second time i went was at xmas and had no issues whatsoever.

I am there very often. Love the place, no major issues at all (i safety etc). Food is great.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast