Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By kimwy66
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine
  • 3 Post By Natfixit
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine

Australia/Japan Summer trip - Experiences?

Australia/Japan Summer trip - Experiences?

Greetings wise expats!

The inkling of taking a summer holiday off to Down Under or Japan during my years in Hong Kong has been tickling at the back of my mind for a while now. I've always been interested in seeing Tokyo or Sydney (When it isn't so warm or filled with things that want to kill me, including most sheep), but I was wondering if it's feasible/reccomendable to do so from Hong Kong, or is it just as problematic as doing so from the UK/Ireland?

Huh?

Both Sydney and Tokyo are much closer to Hong Kong compared to flying from UK/Ireland. You save about 12 hours flying time for each.

That's about it really - what other differences are you expecting?

bibbju likes this.

Well, I was interested in people's experiences who have done something similar, since I won't BE in UK/Ireland for a number of years to leave from there to Aussie/Japan.

Sorry - I really am confused. You are talking about two COMPLETELY different places and of course plenty of people have visited them - you make it sound like a once-in-a-lifetime event. I have visited Japan about 6 times and Australia many more (but I'm also Australian).

What do you want to do? What kind of holiday are you looking for? Do care if the locals speak English? Both of these are also large places - you need to choose where you go. Sydney is very different from Brisbane or Melbourne or Adelaide etc. All are completely different from the outback.

Natfixit likes this.

Sydney...*shudder* give me Melbourne any day. The coffee is better for a start.

Natfixit and JAherbert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Sorry - I really am confused. You are talking about two COMPLETELY different places and of course plenty of people have visited them - you make it sound like a once-in-a-lifetime event. I have visited Japan about 6 times and Australia many more (but I'm also Australian).

What do you want to do? What kind of holiday are you looking for? Do care if the locals speak English? Both of these are also large places - you need to choose where you go. Sydney is very different from Brisbane or Melbourne or Adelaide etc. All are completely different from the outback.
    Well, Tokyo because I'm a game/manga nerd, as well as an interest in Japanese culture, and Sydney/Australia or New Zealand in general mainly for the touristy things and because of the good reviews of my family members, and Billy Connolly, who have been there.

Although I'm open to anyone's opinions/hear anyone's experiences, good or bad, about when they went there or travelling to/from there from Hong Kong.

Melb: great coffee, great restaurants, cool vibe, easy to navigate city, sports culture...and alot more
    Perth (where I'm from): perfect beaches, beautiful wineries a few hours drive away, laid back vibe, big foodie culture developing, alot of small bars..
    Tokyo: HUGE metropolis, amazing food, amazing nightlife, weird & wonderful

You've picked two hugely different places to compare, basically if you travel with an open mind anywhere it will be a good experience.

If you happen to save united miles then they have lowered it from 30,000 to 17,500 miles to redeem for flights from asia to australia. Just throwing it out there..

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Melbourne, I Would choose to visit hands down, over Sydney anyday. I am Australian, and have lived in both cities, but come from Brisbane which you might also consider. I have to warn you that in Australia, no matter where you go ( although the further north you head, there is the same stinking hot humidity that drives people crazy) will be hot. Melbourne is great for culture, chilling out, shopping and sightseeing within and around.

Brisbane, same. Plus up north to mooloolaba and Maroochydore, there are top beaches. Also south towards the eternally stuck in the 80s Gold Coast.

Sydney, do a day or two of the ferry to manly Beach, forget Bondi unless you are pretty flush with cash given all of the expensive Restos that have popped up. Head on south to Kiama and the southern highlands. Or, up north to the central coast.

Tokyo, too much to see and do to write down all. I've been there twice and even a week is not enough. From the beautiful gardens of Shinjuku to the nightlife of Ebisu plus their brewery ( if you like Japanese beer) to the shopping district of Shibuya to the tourist trap but interesting place of Asakusa to concrete jungle of Ginza , avoid Rappongi. Even Lonely Planet couldn't tell me everything I saw and did there. But also get out of Tokyo and hop on a Shikansan train to Kyoto, Nara and surrounds.

Skyhook, JAherbert and kimwy66 like this.