Like Tree6Likes

Summer trip - suggestions?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Flying to singapore can be cheap. The actual cost of a holiday there is substantially more than, say, Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines, Malaysia etc because of the much higher cost of hotels, food, attractions etc but I guess that is obvious.

And re your question about hotels on the mainland... Definitely. You can get a nice enough hotel very cheap. But be sure to check out the reviews somewhere reputable first

Sent from my SGP511 using GeoClicks mobile app

Last edited by justjoe86; 24-06-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Also check groupon as there are always packages based on 2 people sharing that include flights and hotels to places like Thailand, China and Malaysia well within your budget.

http://getaways.groupon.hk/

For Mainland, fly from Shenzhen. You can use ctrip.com to book the flight. Take the bus to Shenzhen (check the timings of the flights to make sure the Shenzhen Bay Port crossing is open).

From Shenzhen, good weekend options are Lijiang (very romantic!); Guilin (which you can also get to by train, which may be fun); Hangzhou (busy, but also scenic and romantic) ... and heaps of other places. Suggest don't fly more than 2 hours or you spend all your time in airports/on planes. China has air traffic issues, expect there to be delays.

Ctrip can also book hotels in China. Smaller hotels are very cheap and perfectly decent (not necessarily luxurious, but perfectly decent). I was staying in hotels in Lijiang, for example, for RMB 100-150 per night that were fine. Go explore You'll get far more bank for your buck in China, plus more experiences, than Singapore, which is bait "ho hum" and expensive accommodation. (drafted from a hotel room in Singapore!)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Alz:
    I was planning on taking my Girlfriend to a 3-4 day summer trip, preferably in August. As a university student, our budget is very minuscule; 5.5k to 6kish max. So, are there any places nearby Hong Kong (besides Macau) where i could have some quality time with my girl and maybe do a little shopping?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    assuming the nationality which allow cheap china visa, consider chimelong waterpark, it's decent and very inexpensive, ie, train from hung hom, RMB168 ( I think, haven't been since 2009), stay in hotel a few stops in Guangzhou mtr, cost RMB250 per night for a decent 4 star

it's a massive water theme park, very very decent, slides as tall as 15 storey, some rides are 6 people in a massive donut,

http://www.chimelong.com/enpark/waterparty.shtml

then spend a day in Shenzhen for next to nothing the next day, that's less than HK$1000 for entire trip

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...Guangdong.html

if you are a student, why not be a bit more flexible and go in early july when it's a lot cheaper, also for bargain flights, check in Cathy pacific

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...ghts/fanfares/

you can go to kuala lumpar on the cheap now

These are amazing prices, thanks

Ive heard nasty rumors about those water parks, what with children defecating/urinating right in the pools (even elderly).. Shenzhen sound good for though

Cheap and romantic! A man's dream! Thanks

As you have your China visas it's a no-brainer on your budget. HK_Katherine nailed it for you. We use the 7DaysInn chain of hotels in China and they've been clean, safe and cheap so far!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Alz:
    Ive heard nasty rumors about those water parks, what with children defecating/urinating right in the pools (even elderly).. Shenzhen sound good for though

the pools have many attendants, there are strict rules, i have never seen a poo and i have been there twice, i have seen a pool in birmingham, uk closed due to some kid crapping in there for fun, those chavs !

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast