Like Tree25Likes

Layover in Manila or Beijing -- which is the least awful option?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    It's a bit odd, but Tripadviser forums about transiting in Manila seem to say it's very easy and you don't have to go through customs. After calling PAL, though, they seemed to say you have to go through customs and pay the airport tax.
    When last I did it (at T1 a while ago) you didn't have to go through customs or immigration - just transit security. However, it did require having a CX staff person take my passport away to get me a new boarding pass while I waited in the lounge.I can't remember if the passport was stamped by immigration in the process. I'm fairly sure I didn't need to pay any tax.

Ok, thanks for the information! Sounds like the Manila option might be best, albeit at the risk of having to spend the night or a day in one of the world's worst airports! (Waiting for the next international flight...)

Watercooler likes this.

Ok, thanks for the information! Sounds like the Manila option might be best, albeit at the risk of having to spend the night or a day in one of the world's worst airports! (Waiting for the next international flight...)
    Don't regret it if turns out for the worse, I did recommend Beijing...

One aspect that no-one's addressed is baggage - I'm not sure I'd trust either to get my bags through on a sub-2 hour transit. I try very hard just to have hand carry when doing short transits.

The advantage of Manila is that if you ARE stuck waiting for the next flight, there are plenty of inexpensive and perfectly decent hotel options within 20 mins (cheap) taxi ride of the airport. Unlike Beijing .. where going into the city can take a long time. (I have no idea if Bejing has an "airport hotel" though).

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetingly:
    One aspect that no-one's addressed is baggage - I'm not sure I'd trust either to get my bags through on a sub-2 hour transit. I try very hard just to have hand carry when doing short transits.
    Although her Manila transit was over 2 hours ... even Manila should be able to manage that. Although I agree - put everything you really care about in hand luggage! (I ALWAYS carry a change of clothes and any valuable items in hand luggage . Always. Even Cathay has managed to lose my luggage. BA has done it frequently. American Airlines were hopeless (through Chicago). It's not a problem limited to third world countries!)

I'd pay the extra and fly direct with Cathay but that's just me.

HK_Katherine and chingleutsch like this.

I would fly jAL Dreamliner into San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    The advantage of Manila is that if you ARE stuck waiting for the next flight, there are plenty of inexpensive and perfectly decent hotel options within 20 mins (cheap) taxi ride of the airport. Unlike Beijing .. where going into the city can take a long time. (I have no idea if Bejing has an "airport hotel" though).

You don't need to go to the city, there are plenty of airport hotels at Beijing:

http://beijingairport.langhamplacehotels.com/

http://www.booking.com/airport/cn/pe...FUoIvAod8h8AeA
    Last edited by Watercooler; 24-06-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    I'd pay the extra and fly direct with Cathay but that's just me.
    LOL - I'd pay even more and fly indirect but in Business Class with Cathay... and I have even considered Manila as the indirect point... but we are all different !

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast