Like Tree8Likes

US-bound passengers may have to switch on mobile phones for security

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Slightly ot but is it ok to carry external batteries in your carry on? (For an hk/uk flight, not a us one)

Original Post Deleted
    I'm not particularly paranoid when it comes to these things, but I'd go a long way to avoid plugging my phone into a USB cable provided by airport security...

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Oh so rarely visit the US these days. Can probably avoid it for some time to come. The trouble comes when other countries decide they want it too.
    I've actively avoided the US for many years now. Too much hassle to travel via or to get there. I dont care how cheap the flight is; I'll connect somewhere else, and avoid the BS.
    Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    Slightly ot but is it ok to carry external batteries in your carry on? (For an hk/uk flight, not a us one)
    I've always carried an extra battery be it an extra laptop battery and lately a brick for charging cell phone as carry on. Never had an issue, never been questioned about it. This includes US, UK, Europe and Asian flights.
    usehername likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

But we're 'told' not to fully charge them!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Original Post Deleted
    Well it's really about prolonging the life of lithium-based batteries.

Battery University!

(Cadex has been recognized as a world leader in battery testing, and the advanced battery analyzers, chargers and monitoring devices the company makes are proof of this strength.)

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    That was a foregone conclusion...

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Well it's really about prolonging the life of lithium-based batteries.

Battery University!

(Cadex has been recognized as a world leader in battery testing, and the advanced battery analyzers, chargers and monitoring devices the company makes are proof of this strength.)
    This is pretty much at a complete tangent to the rest of the thread. I'm posting this because I have a minor hobbyist interest in batteries.

I've been wondering for a while about this rule of thumb about keeping batteries topped up and am beginning to conclude that for at least some types of device, the this advice could be either irrelevant or incorrect.

If take an arbitrary example of a 1000mAh cell, use the median figures of 400 life cycles and 4225 for 100% depth of discharge and 10% depth of discharge then you get:

1000 x 400 = 400,000mAh versus
    100 x 4225 = 422,500mAh

Which is only a 5% difference. On top of this, if you're keeping the cell stored at, or close to, 100% all the time this markedly accellerates capacity loss (from Table 3).

So my reading of the Cadex information is that it's pretty much a wash whether you keep Li batteries topped up or whether you let them run down.
    Last edited by jgl; 14-07-2014 at 11:30 AM.