Like Tree8Likes

Worlds best airline

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    CX is nowhere near the same quality as Singapore, Qatar, Turkish Airlines or Emirates in my view. The amount of CX flights I board that have tired, old interiors, often without video on demand entertainment screens annoys the hell out of me!

It's got to the point I won't pay my own money to fly with them any more - almost any other airline is preferable. Unfortunately I have to use them for work due to timings.
    Pretty much not my experience at all. Only the Singapore / Colombo route has really old planes, in my experience. Most other routes have brand new stuff and all video on demand.

Individual experiences on particular airlines don't count for much I suppose, judging by the varied experiences posted here. One passenger may condemn an airline, but he may just had bad luck to be stuck on that particular flight which happened to be delayed or lost his luggage when those cases might be in the minority. Likewise, another passenger may praise another airline for excellent service when he just got lucky and the flight attendants just happen to be in a good mood in an otherwise poorly reviewed airline. And then there are also the subjective perspective on seat comfort, food etc.

Its more useful to get an aggregate sampling and see what the majority (if there is majority) says on particular airline. Skytrax supposedly does this by collecting all the review and opinions of particular airlines that passengers post on their site. Of course, this is where the numbers get "massaged" where airline employees pretending to be passengers post on Skytrax's site.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I recently purchased and then tried to cancel a ticket with Singapore Airlines within the 24 hour cancellation grace period. I had the most *awful* service. They wouldn't cancel it because they said I wasn't within the 24 hour period and gave some random time for when I booked the flight. (Each time I called and tried to sort this out we continually got a different time that we booked the flight.) I sent an email to the email address provided to have them investigate, but then after a few days I called them to find out what was happening and they said they never received an email. (How convenient!) Finally, we got them to investigate and acknowledge the cancellation, but that was from the staff based in the Pacific time zone, so we got a call to confirm they would cancel it at 6:00 am. In the end, we decided we should probably go on the trip and had to book another flight for the trip anyway.

I really can't understand what gives about all the praise for Singapore Airlines. The customer service was simply appalling. Anyway, since the flight wasn't cancelled in the end, I guess I'll get to try this top-rated airline on a long haul flight soon! Hope you guys are right about it being such a great airline.

Oh and about US based airline staff -- I always like flying home on a US airline in that I feel a little closer to home with having the US flight attendants (though this is especially so on the domestic connecting flights). I also always think it's funny to sit next to Americans and how they like to chat and find out your life history..... ahh, home sweet home! I was sad on my last long flight home that I had to sit next to a very silent, smelly Chinese man (No, of course this American extrovertedness is annoying, but it's refreshing when you've been away from home so long.)
    I fly a fair bit on SQ and haven't had a problem. But, admittedly, I haven't had to change/cancel tickets at the last minute. In the air, I find their service is excellent. Now if only something could be done about Changi's miserable employees.

I used to love CX, especially when their new NYC-HKG direct flight opened back in 2004 or 2005. I was one of the first sets of passengers to board their plane (I still have my "certificate"). This flight was my most comfortable CX flight in which they certainly earned my loyalty for flying them for the next decade (mainly for the direct NYC-HKG line). The seats were arranged in 2-3-2/2-4-2 don't remember which but this was cattle class. It was the most comfortable cattle class I have ever ridden. Here are the qualities that earned my loyalty:

NYC-HKG Direct Flight: Yes
    Food: Standard meals depending on time of day
    Snacks: Cup Noodles and Sandwiches (unlimited as long as there are left after 1st set)
    Cabin Quality: Neighbors respectful and quiet
    Cabin Service: Prompt and courteous

Unfortunately, the seats became smaller year after year and the quality of passengers suffered greatly (mainlanders). They also started to combine flights with American Airlines which always filled the plane to the max. Here is what happened since:

NYC-HKG Direct Flight: Yes
    Food: Standard meals depending on time of day
    Snacks: Not served anymore. You can ask for cup noodles but it has become a lottery since there can be times they simply run out.
    Cabin Quality: More seats = more people, more people = more noise, overall lowered quality
    Cabin Service: FA with attitude and generally arrogant

___

And no, I am not romanticizing. This has been my experience.

Anyone also ridden their first few NYC-HKG flights?

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Pretty much not my experience at all. Only the Singapore / Colombo route has really old planes, in my experience. Most other routes have brand new stuff and all video on demand.
    I mainly fly to Singapore and Seoul - both have the same problem. Have also experienced crappy old planes flying to Shanghai and Mumbai.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Now if only something could be done about Changi's miserable employees.
    Is there a flying pig smiley on here somewhere...

If you only get to fly A330s (which happens to me if I want to go home to see the family, no matter which airline I choose) it is hell no matter what.

Airline food is the dumbest thing to argue about as well. It is all just microwave ready meals in the end.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

CX are fine. Very happy to have them as my go-to airline whether it's for business or for a holiday. They're inconsistent as are all the rest of the major players but they beat any N.American/European airline hands down and as a pretty frequent flyer I take that as a huge benefit about living in HK. God I'd hate to be flying Delta or KLM or whatever every other week or so. Survey probably is rigged though somehow. S.A. & Emirates seem to have a much more positive word of mouth these days.