Like Tree71Likes

Airline reclining seat or not?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Airline reclining seat or not?

Plane diverted as passengers fight over seat reclining | Business | theguardian.com

Story from the Guardian re incident in the States.

Quick summary. Dude uses device to stop person in front reclining. Person in front complains. Dude told by airline to remove device. Dude refuses. Person in front throws water on dude.

Who's right / wrong?

My view. Dude clearly being douche, esp when told by airline to remove device. However person in front didn't do herself any favours by throwing water.

I am sure everyone here (apart from HK_Katherine who refuses to fly anything that isn't business class) has been in the position where they don't like the person in front reclining. However, we've also probably all been in the position where we would like to recline.

Yes, first world problems. But aren't 99.9% of the problems on Geo first world problems?

apart from meal time, it is everyones right to recline, you cannot stop me from reclining just because you want to work on your laptop, FFS get a life and do work somewhere else, let my waste what little brain cells I have left on watching all kinds of crap on the entertainment center and relaxing before I get to my next destination and deal with numpties

carang likes this.

I also think everyone has the right to recline. Seems many airlines have already prohibited the use of these 'knee defenders'.

carang likes this.

it's just average traveller v. huge douchebag, until she throws the water. then it's dangerous passenger v. huge douchebag.
    when you put your seat in the reclining position, you are using your seat *in the manner in which it was intended and for which it was built.* there's nothing at all wrong about that. i will say that sometimes a row will have a wall behind it and not be able to recline. if i'm in the row in front of that i only recline half way. but if anyone behind me has a problem with me reclining they can go pound sand.
    that said, throwing water on a plane is not acceptable. not that refusing to comply w/ a flight attendant's orders is acceptable...

carang likes this.

If the person behind you is very tall and his/her knees are already pressed against the back of your seat, do you still have the full right to recline if it is going to cause great discomfort to the other traveler?

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    If the person behind you is very tall and his/her knees are already pressed against the back of your seat, do you still have the full right to recline if it is going to cause great discomfort to the other traveler?
    If that person asked nicely I wouldnt bother reclining, others would probably say well he should have got a better seat or paid more money, nah I dont believe in that, its not his/her fault for being tall.

Now if the tall person was being a right douche about it then its a whole new set of ball games LOL
    carang likes this.

I'm 6'2" and I struggle for leg room on the short haul flights as it is without the person reclining, if ive got an aisle seat then I can deal with it as i can stretch out that way and I do try and get one when I can.

For the longer haul flights, especially on the A380, it really isn't a problem as there is plenty of leg room anyway generally. As mentioned the only time i would ask them to sit forward is when the food is being served and i'll usually ask the stewardess to ask them for me when she is serving me.

If god had meant us to fly he'd have given us shorter legs.

As with everything. It is your right to reline the seat but let's not be an asshole too.

I never fully recline it (altho the guy in front of me may do so) as I try to be courteous and reclining 5% more or less won't affect my flight (when I get onto a 12 or 16h flight in eco, I KNOW it will be uncomfortable) but might create discomfort to the person behind.

In any case it is common courtesy to:
    1/ prior reclining take a quick look at the back and see what the passenger is doing
    2/ if he is doing nothing recline slowly
    3/ if he is working or else inform then that you will recline

If someone refuses to let me recline, no need to get personal - call hostess and sort it out. If the other passanger is being an asshole let the aircraft team deal with him until a solution is found.

Edit: if the passenger (female) was hot, then it's ok :-)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast