best non-tourist spots in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

>> chung king n mirador have some pretty clean guesthouses

You have got to be kidding me. I would not recommend Chung King to anyone. End of story.

I agree KIA, chung king Mansions are some of the worst, run-down, smelliest guest 'houses' you will find. I would rather sleep in an alleyway, as it would be cleaner!

This line from a WSJ article a while back about service standards in Hong Kong restaurants pretty much summed up my Luk Yu experience: "Visit the Luk Yu Tearoom in Hong Kong and you will immediately understand how it got its rhyming nickname."

A good option is the imaginatively named "Dim Sum" restaurant on Sing Woo Road in Happy Valley, a little bit up the hill from Pacific Coffee. It's a bit more expensive than many places, but the quality of the food is really good. Make sure you try the lobster har gau... The place is also small and cosy, which can be nice if you have problems dealing with the clamor of a football-field sized restaurant when you're in an MSG daze. The City Hall dim sum place is good fun (and noisy) and a great place to people watch, especially if you have a full-blown wedding party at the next table.

A non-touristy walk idea: Bowen Road, which runs from the Midlevels to Happy Valley. It's flat pretty much the whole way, about 4km, I think, and there are tons of great views over the city.

Everything Frogman said above is spot on! The 'Dim Sum' restaurant is very good (sugest going there before races at the valley on a wednesday night). Also, i often go for a walk along Bowen rd, and its very nice early in the morning, or any time of day.

I'll let you stay in my room - I'll move to the maid's room - for 1000 euro for 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by sewage:
    I'll let you stay in my room - I'll move to the maid's room - for 1000 euro for 2 weeks.
    thanks for the offer, sewage ;-))))