Like Tree17Likes

HKIA v Changi

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HKIA v Changi

Interesting article:

http://www.ejinsight.com/20140918-ho...rt-competition

"Around 40 percent of passengers departing from HKIA are now told to board planes from the apron". Had no idea the number was so high.

"HKIA added its Terminal Two, at the north side of the existing terminal, in the same year. Yet the irony is that, the HK$2.8 billion (US$360 million) new terminal in Hong Kong is not a genuine one as it has no boarding gates at all. Departing passengers must take the automated people mover (APM) or buses to Terminal 1 for boarding. One wonders, what’s the point of building such a facility? Walk into the building, and indeed you realize it is more of a shopping mall than anything else."

"In 2009 it finished the North Satellite Concourse, a mini terminal located to the north of Terminal One mainly for mainland-bound flights. There is no APM connecting the two buildings and passengers, having been told to go through immigration and security checks in Terminal 1, will have to take shuttle buses there to board their planes. The construction cost of the 20,000-square meter facility is HK$1 billion and it just has ten frontal stands for narrow-bodied aircraft."

Last edited by pin; 09-10-2014 at 04:35 PM.

The article is not there in the link for some reason.

T2 has been around since 2007, surprised you didn't realized it has no gates until now. Yes a shopping mall, that allows the HKIA to collect more income through the additional rent. What is wrong with that though?

Last edited by Cho-man; 09-10-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks, just fixed OP

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Gravitas:
    Why HK airport is losing out to Singapore’s Changi
    If a traveller would like to visit Hong Kong, I wonder how many would fly to Singapore because the aiport is better. I wouldn't.
    alph and chingleutsch like this.

There are some problems with the article. While one can argue Changi is superior, HKIA is nowhere as poor as the article makes it out to be. It still ranks well above most other countries. And the argument that Shenzhen and Macau and HKIA should cooperate, well they already are through skypier (ferry service between Shenzhen, Macau and HK airports). But beyond that, there is a limit to how much they can cooperate before they regard each other as competitors stealing each other's traffic.

Last edited by Cho-man; 09-10-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Changi does the baggage security screening at each gate which really gives me the shits and slows down the boarding process. Everyone rocks up to the gate at the same time 30 minutes before departure as they are supposed to and then surprised with long lines for security screening. HK way of doing it at the entrance spreads out the load and is much more logical.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Changi does the baggage security screening at each gate which really gives me the shits and slows down the boarding process. Everyone rocks up to the gate at the same time 30 minutes before departure as they are supposed to and then surprised with long lines for security screening. HK way of doing it at the entrance spreads out the load and is much more logical.
    +1 there's nothing worse than a long day in meetings to get stuck at the gate with 300 others whilst the moronic security guards go through the motions - its best in school holidays when you get just about every family opening their cases to surrender liquids or dangerous objects like nail scissors.

Although I do like curling up in the indoors corner room in the Skyview lounge for a nap (something that you could never really do at a CX lounge in HKIA)
    shri and Cho-man like this.

Changi gets a +1 from me for food / entertainment & time waste / shopping (yay 7-11!) / kid friendly options.

HK gets a +1 for sheer efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Changi gets a +1 from me for food / entertainment & time waste / shopping (yay 7-11!) / kid friendly options.
    Its cute and cool - kinda like Dubai. Lots of things to distract the traveller..
    HK gets a +1 for sheer efficiency.
    I've not been in any other airport as clean & efficient as our beloved Chek Lap Kok.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast