Like Tree8Likes

UK passport renewal

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

UK passport renewal

Has anyone renewed a UK passport in recent weeks? Any idea of the current turnaround time? We need it back for Christmas week, what are the chances? Can we get an emergency passport if it doesn't arrive in time?

I applied to renew mine at the end of Sept. Their website says 6 weeks from receipt of passport/declaration. However, 2 days ago received email from them requesting my birth certificate and the pictures to be counter-signed. This is my 4th passport but their email read like I was applying for my first passport. Looks like the 6 weeks is not going to happen.

imparanoic likes this.

Mine was worse, the Passport Office made me wait nearly 4 months to renew my passport.

There is no way I would risk sending off a passport at this point in time. I would fly to the UK and renew in person. I THINK they are improving, but it's very hard to say.

mine was returned 8 weeks after it left hk but i did call many times to check on its progress and whether they needed anything else...

imparanoic likes this.

Their web site says at least six weeks from the date they received it in the UK. Is getting hold of an emergency passport if it doesn't arrive in time a straightforward process? We're going to the Philippines.

Yes v straightforward and easy but u can only receive it one working day before your departure. Waited less than an hour but I did miss that day's cut-off time so she had to rush it. Costs about £95 and can only use it once with no changes to your flight dates at all. You have to supply them with your hkid card and itinerary too.

Last edited by Blue88; 27-10-2014 at 07:46 AM.
    LoughtonLion likes this.

Can't u take advantage of that free 12 month extension? Although some countries won't accept it apparently

Thanks. It's my wife's renewal. She's only got two blank pages left, so the year's extension is no use and these two months are the longest she'll be in the country before the thing expires next summer.

We'll have to bite the bullet with the emergency passport if necessary. Or leave her behind.

Quote Originally Posted by LoughtonLion:
    Thanks. It's my wife's renewal. She's only got two blank pages left, so the year's extension is no use and these two months are the longest she'll be in the country before the thing expires next summer.

We'll have to bite the bullet with the emergency passport if necessary. Or leave her behind.
    So what's the problem? You have a passport that expires in the summer and TWO blank pages? I only have about 3 blank pages, I'm not worrying yet. Just smile sweetly at the staff when you arrive or leave any place and ask them to keep their stamps close together and those two pages will last ages.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast