Like Tree22Likes

Travel "Hacks"

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Travel "Hacks"

Do you have any items that you swear by when you are travelling, especially for business purposes?

I was talking to a colleague, and he mentioned that his wife takes a door jammer when she has to travel by herself. I thought that was pretty cool, and the thing is apparently really light.

Here's a few others I found on Quora that might be useful (via http://www.quora.com/What-are-your-b...-packing-hacks)

1. As soon as you arrive, hang shirts up in the bathroom. When showering or bathing, make sure you keep the door closed and the steam will help the creases to drop out.

2. I'm guilty of having used this on occasion: don't pack a cell phone charger. When you get to your hotel, walk up to the front desk and tell them you left your <insert common phone brand> charger there the last time you stayed with them - they will invariably find one in their massive drawer of left-behind chargers.

Last edited by GeoTommy; 30-10-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: fixed link

Your URL is malformed- it's got smiley characters at the end of it.

Not sure I would call any of those things "hacks" though as they don't involve making anything, but my most important travel things besides the obvious are an ebook reader, earplugs and an eye mask.

I've tried the "shirts in the bathroom steam" thing a bunch of times and it's never worked. Always used an iron if I have work shirts.

HK_Katherine likes this.

I've gotten into the habit now that whenever I pack a suitcase, all my clothes are rolled up instead of the usual folding, gets less creased.

I would also recommend getting familiar with your smartphone before travelling, figuring things like how to turn on/off airplane mode, can it take another country's sim card and use it data frequencies, do you want to enable international roaming beforehand.

I just buy dresses that don't crease and will dry quickly if my trip unexpectedly extends and I need clean clothes for next day. I have tried all sorts of gadgets. Few are worth it.

Some of your chargers have removable heads so to save space I will bring the USB cables and the one head. Only problem is that you will have to wait for things to charge. Otherwise some TV'S have USB ports so you can use that to help charge as well.

You can also use the shower caps for your shoes so you can put them on top of your clothes if you don't have a bag.

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Your URL is malformed- it's got smiley characters at the end of it.

Not sure I would call any of those things "hacks" though as they don't involve making anything, but my most important travel things besides the obvious are an ebook reader, earplugs and an eye mask.

I've tried the "shirts in the bathroom steam" thing a bunch of times and it's never worked. Always used an iron if I have work shirts.
    Oops. Sorry about that, and I can't seem to edit the URL on the post, here's the link:
    What are your business travel packing hacks? - Quora

Anyway, just wondering, are "life hacks" exclusive to defining the action of creating something, I have always thought it could mean anything that is a shortcut that simplifies doing a task.

sugru for repairs and make shift hacks, esp for travel

Quote Originally Posted by alph:
    Anyway, just wondering, are "life hacks" exclusive to defining the action of creating something, I have always thought it could mean anything that is a shortcut that simplifies doing a task.
    Huh, I guess that's one of the traditional definitions (i.e. shortcuts) so it's a valid point.

I assume that the word became popularised by the computing use of "hacker" which often implies ingenuity and can be a compliment instead of a bit of an insult e.g. "he's a hack writer".

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    sugru for repairs and make shift hacks, esp for travel
    Yeah, I travel with a couple of packets of Sugru, it's good stuff. Only used it once though. I've found good old duct tape to be more useful.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lingc:
    Some of your chargers have removable heads so to save space I will bring the USB cables and the one head. Only problem is that you will have to wait for things to charge.
    Get yourself one of these suckers. Can charge everything at once with only one 'head'. Less than $100 in Sham Shui Po:
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  3.9 KB

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast