Utterly confused. London -> Paris -> Amsterdam -> London! Train? Ferry? Plane?

Closed Thread

Utterly confused. London -> Paris -> Amsterdam -> London! Train? Ferry? Plane?

Hi there.

Here is my plan:
    1st Oct: Fly in to London in afternoon, Leave for Paris (perhaps Eurostar) one-way fare
    4th Oct: Leave Paris morning for Amsterdam
    5th Oct: Leave Amsterdam for London
    6th Oct: Take night flight from London back home

Sounds simple. But its not. I used this site and he suggested the ferry option:
    Eurostar high-speed train from London to Paris | From �59 return |� Eurostar from London to Lille, Paris or Brussels through the Channel Tunnel

Given the limited time we have, I don't know if its worth taking a non-express train or ferry but then again the overnight ferry saves hotel costs.

Oh yeah, I'm below 25 so I think I can choose the youth fare. I'm just scared because the tickets are selling out fast and the prices are going up. Thanks a million in advance for any advice.

Channel Tunnel

Euorstar currently is not running due to a fire on Thursday.

BBC NEWS | UK | Channel Tunnel disruption goes on

I imagine the service will be disrupted for some time.

There was a fire in the Channel Tunnel on Thursday.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Channel Tunnel shut after blaze

Would check with Eurostar as servie may be limited for some time.

Probably easiest and about cheapest is to book return on eurostar to Paris, and then a return from Paris to Amsterdam - see the sncf french railways or TGV site to book.

Alternatively - one way to paris, one way to Amsterdam, and one way on the ferry. Again can all be booked online.

Travel..

Hi there,

If you want to go by Eurostar then it's definitely a case of the earlier you book the cheaper the fare.

Have you considered flying from Amsterdam to London with one of the budget airlines? Again the same rules applies the earlier you book the cheaper.

Take a look at ryanair and easyjet, sometimes BA are quite reasonable.

Happy planning.

Hey,

Something to bear in mind, Eurostar is currently experiencing delays / cancellations due to a recent fire.

So you may want to check their website before booking anything.

If you're flying into Heathrow then it probably will get you to Paris sooner to take a flight than have to trek down to the Eurostar station at St Pancras and then across to Paris. Normally air tickets to Paris via London are only marginally more money than those to London direct, but if you've already committed to a London only ticket then bit may be too late for that option.

The problem with most of the LCCs from AMS to LON is that they arrive in Stansted, so you then have quite a trek across to Heathrow.

If you don't actually want to be in London then your best bet for maximum time in Europe would be to buy an open jaw on Cathay: in to Paris, out from Amsterdam.