Like Tree5Likes

Hong Kong Airlines - Safe?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Went on 2 flights with them and both were on time to Thailand.
    Were the people who got delayed flying into/out of China? I read they are more prone to delays

pkboy, probably you are lucky, 3 out of 10 are lucky if their flight are on time.

i got delay plenty of times while to and back thailand.

About the delays, to some extent, its beyond the control of HK Airlines. Chinese air space is notorious for chronic delays. Traffic volume has far outstrip atc capacity, and it doesn't help that Chinese air space is controlled by the military, which prioritize military traffic over civilian traffic, so the result is delays, delays and more delays. All airlines flying in China are afflicted by this.

My recommendation is to try and take the earliest flight in the day before the traffic builds up. Or if the distance is not too far (and if it is available), take the high speed train instead.

Now, the thing with HK Airlines is how they handle the delays and other events when things don't according to plan. Let's just say they don't handle it all too way...

Last edited by Cho-man; 28-11-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Guys, HK Airlines and HK Express may be affiliated but their on time performance is vastly different. HK Express is very reliable, even more so than Cathay!!

HK Express: 81% on time
    Cathay Pacific: 66% on time
    HK Airlines: 38% on time

Data is from flightstats.com. Based on the 20 most active routes for each carrier, from Sept 15 - Nov 15 this year.

To top it off, I got a HK Express ticket to Tokyo for $300. With all the taxes, luggage fees etc came to around HK$1100 return. Cant beat that. Also uses Haneda airport better than Narita. The only problem is midnight arrival after the last train to downtown Tokyo so need to book a taxi. Cost is about JPY 6000 to Shinjuku if you book from a Japanese taxi company in advance.

Last edited by bdw; 28-11-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    Cho-man and pkboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The only problem is midnight arrival after the last train to downtown Tokyo so need to book a taxi. Cost is about JPY 6000 to Shinjuku if you book from a Japanese taxi company in advance.
    There are plenty of small business hotels near to Haneda - that's what I would do - quicker to bed and go Tokyo in the morning when the trains are running!

3% on time. tianjin to hong kong on hong kong airlines

(HX) Hong Kong Airlines On-Time Performance Rating

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    3% on time. tianjin to hong kong on hong kong airlines

(HX) Hong Kong Airlines On-Time Performance Rating
    Dragonair's stats were not much better. Their worst route was down to 7%.... I think a lot of this is just because of the "China effect".
    rainylin likes this.