Fifth Control Point at Shenzhen Border

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fifth Control Point at Shenzhen Border

Now, if the visa situation is cleared up by 2018 this could be a good thing!

Fifth border check point to be built

18-09-2008

The government has announced the building of a fifth control point between Shenzhen and Hong Kong. The new checkpoint will cost $9.6 billion and should be completed by 2018. It is estimated that by 2030, the new border crossing will handle more than 20,000 vehicles and 30,000 passengers a day.

There maybe some good news on that. As some embassy are beginning to relax their visa ruling. So just sit tight and hope HK will be lifted soon

NOTICE(visa waiver practice)

On Monday they weren't relaxed. Rumors are still October or even early November.

If it is anything like the USA and their tightening after 911, I wouldn't be holding my breath that the border will be relaxed.

Governments like to tighten controls and use events to do so, but rarely do they backtrack later on. It just becomes the new reality.

Any businesses that have gone under are gone now. Any workers fired are gone too so I just don't see why China would make any changes now. If they did it would be a surprise to me.

Someone mentioned to me yesterday that they thought that you can get a China visa at the Shenzhen border upon arriving for HKD100. Anyone know if that is true? tks..

Quote Originally Posted by squid:
    Now, if the visa situation is cleared up by 2018 this could be a good thing!

Why can't we increase usage of Man Kam To, Sha Tau Kok, Lok Ma Chau and Shenzhen Bay first? Not like they can't be expanded. (Including hours of operation for 3 out of 4)

This border crossing would become yet another overbuilt white elephant. The newly-completed Lok Ma Chau and Western Corridor are both under-utilized on any given day. The government must stop using unrealistic figures and forecast as excuses to bulldoze any more pristine countryside.

Quote Originally Posted by rkhl:
    This border crossing would become yet another overbuilt white elephant. The newly-completed Lok Ma Chau and Western Corridor are both under-utilized on any given day. The government must stop using unrealistic figures and forecast as excuses to bulldoze any more pristine countryside.
    I think these figures are based on road traffic. As they mention traffic and a 5th crossing. (If they counted Lo Wu there would already be five) Lok Ma Chau crossing is not new and in fact it is the most busy crossing currently. (Once again referring to road and not train as this article is talking about road traffic) I would like to see more promotions to use Man Kam To, Sha Tau Kok and Shenzhen Bay. They are all under used at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by muse07:
    Someone mentioned to me yesterday that they thought that you can get a China visa at the Shenzhen border upon arriving for HKD100. Anyone know if that is true? tks..
    Yeah, it's true. For HKID holders only. And it also depends on what passport you have. And it's $150 for most, $450 for some.

Quote Originally Posted by ycchai:
    There maybe some good news on that. As some embassy are beginning to relax their visa ruling. So just sit tight and hope HK will be lifted soon

NOTICE(visa waiver practice)
    I'd say that's a pretty strong indicator. Hardly seems coincidental that this relaxtion occurs immediately after the Paralympics finish. Nor that the proposed resumption date of 17 October is excaclty one month following their completion.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast