Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By vmlinuz
  • 1 Post By bdw
  • 1 Post By penguinsix

Japan Prepaid SIM / Internet Access Recommendations?

Closed Thread

Japan Prepaid SIM / Internet Access Recommendations?

Has anyone here used one of these prepaid services / sim cards in Japan recently?

From what I understand, these are Internet only plans - no local voice number. Which could be a problem, but I figure language issues may be a bigger problem if calling on the phone.

3G SIM card rental | Lineup | SoftBank Global Rental

Prepaid SIM for JAPAN | NTT Communications

Sakura Mobile - LTE Data Sim and Mobile Router Rental in Japan

Will these SIMs work on a portable router thingy? (Might be required with a couple of people / shared phones / laptop).

I think it is for 2 weeks.

We just did a quick weekend in Fukuoka (making it 5 years in a row we've been somewhere different in Japan!), and I picked up a China Unicom roaming 5GB data SIM on Groupon for $250, while someone else we were travelling with got a similar card in SSP for about $120 - could easily grab a couple and swap them out when they run out. We were both using it in an Android phone with wifi sharing, so I can't say for sure it'd work in a mifi-type thing...

That said, we also used y5buddy back in October in Okinawa, and had no complaints - we had a very early flight out, so couldn't pick it up at the airport, which meant their courier delivery/pick-up was useful.

shri likes this.

Thanks! Did not know they were available here.

Will check them out.

Has anyone here used one of these prepaid services / sim cards in Japan recently?
    bmobile

You need to know someone inside of Japan to activate it for you using their own *registered landline. Just don't expect strangers to do it for you.

vmlinuz's solution seems like the better option. The less hassle it is the better.
    Last edited by Creative83; 27-01-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Install the app JAPAN WIFI on your phone and you may not need a sim card. There is free WiFi in most stations, airports, shopping areas and every 7-11 in Tokyo. Also it's auto connect with no login or passwword needed. Very nice, just walk past a 7-11 and your phone will auto refresh.

shri likes this.

I was in Japan two years ago an activated my B mobile from a mobile phone I picked up at the airport (rental).

Check the SIM Card Data Wiki for the most uptodate prices

Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki

TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I only had to login once to each different SSID, and email register was only once at very beginning after installing app. For example, stand outside 7-11 then open the app and connect and it will connect to 7SPOT. After doing once, then walk into another 7-11 and no need to do anything it just connects to any 7SPOT from then on automatically. But if I go to a JR station, need to open the app once to connect to JR EAST. After that, every time the train pulls into another station it will connect to JR EAST again automatically. Need to do again once for TOKYO METRO, ROPPONGI HILLS, etc....

Original Post Deleted
    That was my exact experience. but biggie it is cause it never logs in at the heart of JR stations and when it does, it was either extremely slow or logs out 3 minutes after.

That solution got the whole group of people I was with into trouble cause they couldn't use GPS and they weren't able to converse well enough to find a solution themselves.
    Last edited by Creative83; 29-01-2015 at 08:23 PM.