Like Tree9Likes

10 year China visa for non PR?!?!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

10 year China visa for non PR?!?!

I just picked up my China visa and was crossing my fingers that they would give me a 3 year visa instead of the one year like usual. NOPE.... They gave me a ten year with up to 60 day visits each time!!!

Was this just a fluke Monday morning mistake?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

imparanoic, shri and tizapaul like this.

what passport do u possess?

American obviously.

imparanoic likes this.

I have a US passport. Last year they told me 1 year would be the max I could get till I receive PR in HK.

A 10 year visa for 1100HKD is not too bad.

The rules changed relatively recently and were covered quite a bit in the local news and even on here.

Claire ex-ax, JohnHK39 and shri like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    The rules changed relatively recently and were covered quite a bit in the local news and even on here.
    And the deal is reciprocal. Although that doesn't always mean what you think it means when dealing with the US.

China, U.S. to Grant Each Other’s Citizens 10-Year Visas - China Real Time Report - WSJ

The U.S. and China agreed to issue longer-term visas for business, tourism and education, potentially removing a long-standing impediment to exchanges between the world’s largest economies. As the WSJ’s Carol E. Lee reports:
    President Barack Obama unveiled the new visa arrangements in a speech to business executives in Beijing. According to both governments, the length of tourist and business visas would be extended for each country’s citizens to 10 years from the current one-year limit. Student visas would be extended from one year to five years.
    The new guidelines will be effective starting Wednesday, the White House said in a statement. A Chinese Foreign Ministry statement said the arrangement would be completed soon.
    Both sides said the new visa policies would enable more exchanges between people and businesses.

The White House said the new visa rules would help the U.S. attract more Chinese tourists. About 1.8 million Chinese traveled to the U.S. last year, representing less than 2% of Chinese who traveled abroad, the White House said. With the new rules, it projected Chinese tourists to number as many as 7.3 million by 2021.
    rani likes this.

I was just as surprised a month or so ago when I got mine. Giggity.

JohnHK39 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    And the deal is reciprocal. Although that doesn't always mean what you think it means when dealing with the US.
    I helped a HK colleague apply for a US Visa last month, they only got a one year. I wonder if it would have been longer of they were a Mainlander? Of course they could just claim that the website has not been updated yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHK39:
    I helped a HK colleague apply for a US Visa last month, they only got a one year. I wonder if it would have been longer of they were a Mainlander? Of course they could just claim that the website has not been updated yet.

The 10 years only applies to Chinese from the mainland. Still a different immigration system for now.....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast