Like Tree6Likes

Siem Reap/Angkor Wat or Hanoi/Halong Bay?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Siem Reap/Angkor Wat or Hanoi/Halong Bay?

Hi!
    I have been here in HK for one month and it's time for me to plan my first short-weekend gateway (Friday night to Monday evening).
    I am struggled between two options: sightseeing Hanoi and then spent one day and half on a Halong Bay cruise or going to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat.
    I am also thinking that maybe could be more interesting to joint the Angkor visiting with a more extensive tour in Cambodia, but I am not sure yet I will have the time to do that.

Does anybody has already been there? On a tour package or just wondering alone? What do you suggest to do? Halong Bay should be very fascinating, but these cruises seem to be very touristic...

Thank you all!
    Federica

Thank you the advice!
    The cruise seems to be really nice, but actually I am 24 travelling alone... I am not sure that would be as romantic as it seems in the adv

I've been to both places, both are good, but it depends on your preference. If you like to see a bit of history, go to Angkor Wat. It is a quite impressive structure.

Halong Bay by contrast is nature. The karst landscape is like Guilin over water.

So it comes down to history vs nature. Either is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fedeit:
    Thank you the advice!
    The cruise seems to be really nice, but actually I am 24 travelling alone... I am not sure that would be as romantic as it seems in the adv
    The cruise is not as "couply " as it seems. There were many small groups of travellers who all got together on the upper deck in the evening for lots beers and chat. Would be easy enough to join and make frnds.

actually i recommend angkor wat for a first timer, young guy.

fedeit and Sandy Pants like this.

Never been to Hailong Bay so can't comment, but if you are planning a trip to Angkor Wat I'd suggest spending longer than a day and half there. The temple area is massive, you could spend a week there and not see it all.

If you are planning a longer trip to Cambodia anyway I'd leave it until then and give yourself more time to do it justice.

Cwbguy, Elegiaque, fedeit and 1 others like this.

Be aware that for AW you are coming up to the hot season "March to May is brutally hot, with temperatures reaching 40°C" with high humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Halong Bay by contrast is nature. The karst landscape is like Guilin over water.
    I will visit Guilin in May, then Ankgor could be something totally different to see...

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Be aware that for AW you are coming up to the hot season "March to May is brutally hot, with temperatures reaching 40°C" with high humidity.
    It will be the 21 march.... so then not the best season to go I guess..

Thanks for all the advice, Halong Bay seem to be the best choice then, even if AW I think should be a more "unique" place to see

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast