Like Tree42Likes

Germanwings Airbus A320 crashes in French Alps

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by papaya:
    this all is so horrible. I am partner of LH employee and know the company and their quality standards well. Technical problems happen but they are mostly manageable and a passengers don't even notice most of the time. so that's why a technical issue causing such a tragedy was the last thing we were thinking. Terror attac seemed more likely. But now it's obviously a terror attic from inside, absolutely shocking! The pilots at Lufthansa are screened and checked till there is no tomorrow. Before they get accepted for the flight trainings they must pass many weeks of psychological observations and tests. They are selected due to very strict criteria. So it;s hart to believe that something like this could happen. I am afraid of flying since the 2nd accident with Malaysia Airlines. Now I am pretty much blocked. My partner is flying 2-3 times a week which is recently getting me headaches. What happened to this world? It got so small and accessible already, and tragedies like that close it back...
    Is there any evidence that it was a terrorist attack rather than a horrible suicide?

As to the risk of flying, well 2014 was the safest year on record when looking at airline deaths. As an example, more people died on the roads of the UK than in airline crashes in the whole world. So the danger of flying is getting to and from the airport rather than the flight. I hope you do not travel anywhere by car.

Updates are stating no link to terrorism. Feel sorry for his parents as well, they must be going through hell. They were flown out with all the other relatives but have now been separated from all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    As to the risk of flying, well 2014 was the safest year on record when looking at airline deaths. As an example, more people died on the roads of the UK than in airline crashes in the whole world. So the danger of flying is getting to and from the airport rather than the flight. I hope you do not travel anywhere by car.

The airline industry always publishes figures per passenger km but really shouldn't it be by journeys taken?

you take a lot more car journeys than plane journeys

but it is still a very safe form of transport overall
    Last edited by East_coast; 27-03-2015 at 05:59 AM.
    flameproof likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by papaya:
    I am afraid of flying since the 2nd accident with Malaysia Airlines. Now I am pretty much blocked. My partner is flying 2-3 times a week which is recently getting me headaches. .
    You might want to see a therapist about these feelings. They are not logical. Flying is actually very safe as others have highlighted with their statistics. Unfortunately, airline accidents make for great news coverage, so every detail is blasted across your screens for days, compared to the thousands of traffic accidents, many of which never even get reported. So your brain is being overwhelmed with data that does not reflect reality. You need to learn to step back and sort it out or you'll go crazy.

Obviously there is absolutely no lil to terrorism. However the co-pilot had interrupted his flight training for several month due to some health issues. He later returned to LH but had to repeat all those tests and he did well. so we have to believe that these issues were not major. All speculations right now, so we can talk for hours and days. There will be press reports on that, I'm sure. And of course the second black box will hopefully let understand more...

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You might want to see a therapist about these feelings. They are not logical. Flying is actually very safe as others have highlighted with their statistics. Unfortunately, airline accidents make for great news coverage, so every detail is blasted across your screens for days, compared to the thousands of traffic accidents, many of which never even get reported. So your brain is being overwhelmed with data that does not reflect reality. You need to learn to step back and sort it out or you'll go crazy.
    Ho Katherin, thanks for your tip. I hope I don't need to see anyone. For now I just avoid flying and try to keep calm when my boyfriend has to. It's probably just the absolutely nonsense reaction after a tragedy like this. Similar to people's behaviour after the tree killed the pregnant lady in Robinson Road. For weeks people walked the street with heads up in the air. Since we enjoy fantastic airline staff rates, we used to go frequently on short trips. This will happen again, I just need some time to "forget" what happened.

Ok, didn't read the press yet, you are better informed than me Brit The 2nd box won't tell us more about the motive but about the exact way how it happened. Probably not that interesting for the people who just want to understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Updates are stating no link to terrorism.
    Pilot could not get back into the cockpit to take control of the plane due to the jihadi-proof door blocking him.

Who'se fault was that? terrorists of course! Everything is related to the terrorists.
    shri likes this.

Why Europeans airlines do not follow the policy of having two people all the time in the cockpit, even Asian airlines do that like their US counterparts.

I'm hoping that this guy having had an episode of depression in his past doesn't mean that mental health problems will become further stigmatised. Although that is starting to seem inevitable (giving some of the comments people are making on the Internet about why was he allowed to fly when he'd had time off work years before for depression / stress).

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

hullexile and Cho-man like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast