Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dankleness

Holiday suggestions for May 1st long weekend?

Closed Thread

Cool Holiday suggestions for May 1st long weekend?

Was thinking of surprising my partner with a quick getaway from Fri-Sun. Seems difficult, though, to find a place that would be close enough to an airport that would still have a feeling of getting close to nature and tranquility like we like. We're not into big resorts, and prefer more boutiqueish, off-the-beaten-track accommodation in the range of 500-1000hkd (depending on what it provides). Also, almost every other country has a holiday May 1, so not the best time to travel!

Trekking in Phililppines -- short treks, good for the time frame, maybe still good weather, but seems like it might be impossible to do the road journey.
    Beach in the Philippines -- Clark airport is cheap and easy to get to, but there doesn't seem to be any nice snorkeling/beaches that doesn't require a half day of travel to get to?
    Cebu -- all places near the airport look kind of industrial or crummy. Sumilon Bluewater Island Resort, on the southern tip looks great, but a bit pricy for what it is and probably too far away from the airport.
    Chiang Mai -- maybe not the best season? Might be difficult to get out and about AND back to the airport within the short time frame.
    Danxiashan Mountains -- maybe best option? Taking high speed train, how long does it take to get to from HK with going through Shenzhen and all? (Given I could actually still get seats on the train for good times.) Where do you stay? At some place like Danxiazhen and do day hikes in the area?
    Thailand -- any specific recommendations for some place quiet near an airport where you can snorkel all day?

Any other suggestions?

(Sorry, this is very similar to the earlier thread, but my question is slightly different...)

Taiwan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    Taiwan?
    In May? It's not too rainy like in April? Problem with Taiwan is the partner would want to go climb mountains there, then he'd want a say or be disappointed, and I don't feel like doing mountain-climbing/trekking research on that scale (permits and all). Maybe we could have a second go at trying to stay at Song Syue Lodge again (failed due to 0 visibility, heavy rain, and cold last time). Any simple camping treks that don't require a lot of planning or permits?
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 27-03-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Ah I see. Well that might be tough. We didn't get into too much camping, just took the high speed train to Chayi I think, rented a car and drove up to Alishan. Stayed at this place - Walk Cloud Bed and Breakfast Chiayi, Taiwan: Agoda.com

I guess there could be a day hike to do. Just there for one full day (Saturday) though eh?

Elegiaque likes this.