Trip Advice

Closed Thread

Trip Advice

im trying to plan a little bit of a destination Christmas trip...but having troubles deciding. Right now...we are leaning toward Hawaii...but:

1. How long of a flight is it from HK to Hawaii?

2. Any ideas on cheap flights? Zuji seems to have deals for before Dec15 and after Jan01...and whouldn't you know it...we want to go last 2 weeks in Dec.

3. Any other suggestions for locations besides Hawaii? We want to make it somewhat of a middle point between HK and NY (in cost and travel time)

only tip...

you better get a move on! flights out of Hk fill up VERY fast for christmas.

of course prices go up for the last two weeks of december, it's prime time!

Guam, Midway Islands, Marshall Islands (maybe a bit out of the way)

Does anyone actually fly direct to Hawaii? I was told by a friend when I mentioned it that they could not find any direct flights!

what about Vancouver? I love Vancouver - although not as warm as Hawaii!

No, via Tokyo is the quickest way I think.

Yip, HK to Tokyo, then Tokyo to Hawaii - by JAL (Google Japan Airlines). As in ads: fresh, clean air, leafy gorgeous rolling spaces, lotsa island hopping... Have only been during height of summer, but sure that in Dec -> more of the same sun, sand, sea, so on...

NY's a fav happening place too, and you'll want to return coz there's so much to see/do, but it can be freakin' wet-chilly around that time (or... have I been in HK TOO long?).

BTW, Carang's right 'bout it being pretty booked up during the hols though, so can get pricey, indeed!

Continental flies twice weekly via Guam. Should be the quickest and cheapest. Flew last christmas for ~1000 US. Afaik also China Airlines should have some infrequent flights via Taipeh without a stop in Tokyo. Some fares are only shown on their websites and not on Zuji.

Keep in mind that if you go to Hawaii from NYC and HKG, the combined flight is quite a bit longer than a direct flight HKG-NYC as you cannot shortcut over the pole.

Also, at least Oahu isnt that fabulous so I'd recommend you stay in either Kauai or Big Island (or Maui if that is in your budget). If I were you I'd take a direct flight from NYC to HKG and then go to Koh Samui or Palawan.