Like Tree26Likes

Beware Agoda "Mystery Deals"

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I find that you can roughly categorise Singapore hotels into 3 categories:

1. The 5 star luxury hotel

2. The 4 star very nice hotel

3. The hostel type rooms which generally have no windows.

When my missus went over for a training course last year, the company had originally booked her in the 3rd type......much like Katherine's room but with stains on the sheets. She stayed there a grand total of 2 hours before grabbing a taxi for where my sister lives and stayed there for the rest of the training.

HK_Katherine and shri like this.

So.. changi cove is not the old meridian. . But is actually nicer. I have a window and everything. And a hanging swinging seat from where I am typing this. And they give you pens to write on the walls. And chocolate. Much happier. It's in the middle of nowhere but that's OK.

Andy SNK likes this.

Rooms without windows in Singapore is not that unusual in some older hotels, but not always a bad thing. Some of the boutique heritage hotels have rooms without windows that are still very pleasant.

A good example is the Scarlet Hotel which is great - the few rooms without windows are still bright as they have skylights and are as well laid out and comfortable as the rest of the rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Rooms without windows in Singapore is not that unusual in some older hotels, but not always a bad thing. Some of the boutique heritage hotels have rooms without windows that are still very pleasant.

A good example is the Scarlet Hotel which is great - the few rooms without windows are still bright as they have skylights and are as well laid out and comfortable as the rest of the rooms.
    I had hoped that would be the case this time. It wasn't. The room had corridor on 3 sides (it was on the end of the "middle" row of rooms) which meant noise from other guests was horrendous. Plus it really smelt bad - very musty. The whole hotel was nasty - the breakfast was basically akin to a school canteen - the food looked just like my old school canteen food too... Its clearly popular with people on holidays from poorer Asian countries with kids. I can't see any other reason why it even gets a score of 7 on the Agoda reviews. I guess if this is your first overseas trip you have nothing to compare it with!

Don't expect champagne on a beer budget.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Don't expect champagne on a beer budget.
    Fair point, but for S$150 you should expect better than that. That money can usually can book you into places like the Naumi Liora which isn't swish, but much better than HK_Katherine describes. And that is the normal internet price, not some special secret discounted rate.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Fair point, but for S$150 you should expect better than that. That money can usually can book you into places like the Naumi Liora which isn't swish, but much better than HK_Katherine describes. And that is the normal internet price, not some special secret discounted rate.
    And I paid US$150 a night for my windowless room. If Agoda had mentioned this on the description I could have made an informed decision whether to go elsewhere for beer or champagne.
    Apjace, HK_Katherine and Stu79 like this.

We book through booking.com - had too much trouble with Agoda, and lastminute.com - scan through the hotel list, then look up the hotel via its website to see if we can get a lower rate. We are in Singapore now, staying at The Holiday Inn, no complaints. The best nights sleep because their beds are the best!

BTW, HK Katherine, was wondering where you were flying off to this time yesterday afternoon, as I saw you yesterday in the Cathay First Class Lounge, The Pier...( around 2pm? )

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    We book through booking.com - had too much trouble with Agoda, and lastminute.com - scan through the hotel list, then look up the hotel via its website to see if we can get a lower rate. We are in Singapore now, staying at The Holiday Inn, no complaints. The best nights sleep because their beds are the best!

BTW, HK Katherine, was wondering where you were flying off to this time yesterday afternoon, as I saw you yesterday in the Cathay First Class Lounge, The Pier...( around 2pm? )
    Yes - I was on my way to Perth. Got back yesterday. And as you can tell from the lack of comments, was damn busy in Perth!

EDIT - PS - Agoda and Booking.com are sister companies. FYI. I used to know someone who worked at them.
    Apjace likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Agoda and Booking.com are sister companies.
    That is interesting as they seem to operate like chalk and cheese!
    Natfixit likes this.