Like Tree10Likes

Travelling Asia- which airlines?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    The European Union does maintain a list of aircraft banned from its airspace - mostly on safety considerations, and to echo that I would personally avoid all Indonesian airlines. I've heard too many things from too many pilots on too many incidents... some too small to even make the news, but most of them preventable crashes caused by stupid and total lack of safety awareness. I rather fly with an airlines who's culture and pilots value their own lives. If you fly a plane with the mentality of a bus driver then sorry, i'm not getting in the cabin with you.

Garuda is excluded from the list, though honestly i'm not sure i'm even ready to fly them yet.

SQ - i'd happily fly them, but they get too much credit for safety. Service may be impeccable, but again systematic failures in airline culture result in incidents (big and small), the latter of which you won't hear about because Temasek do a pretty good job of ensuring it won't make the mass media.

At the end of the day - if faced with two malfunctioning engines at 30,000 feet - do you want pilots who a) land the plan ASAP to get them checked or b) continue to your destination thinking, "it's only 100 minutes away and it should be OK". Yes, lots of cowboy pilots would choose the latter.

Airline culture should not encourage or sanction such behaviour, nor punish those who are cautious. First officers should not be afraid to speak up in fear of losing face, or making their captain lose face. It would be a huge shame to die from such irreverence.

I'd probably avoid most small Taiwanese carriers too at present...
    Garauda was on the blackist of EU's banned airlines. They were removed from the list some years ago, but you are right, I will still be reluctant to fly on it, unless there really is no other choice and I must go to where have to go. Sure, statistically, you are more likely to safely make it to the destination in one piece if you do fly Garauda than crash. But as an airline with that kind of unsafe reputation, you don't want to worry in the back of your mind, right?
    Last edited by Cho-man; 12-09-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    I blame the Mainlanders

I flew Garuda from Singapore to Jakarta. Perfectly fine, short international route, good service.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    I flew Garuda from Singapore to Jakarta. Perfectly fine, short international route, good service.
    Actually I had nothing against garuda until my helper specifically asked that I not book her leave ticket with them : preferred Cathay :
    got no idea why though

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    Actually I had nothing against garuda until my helper specifically asked that I not book her leave ticket with them : preferred Cathay :
    got no idea why though
    Most likely due to bad history so they are afraid to fly Garuda oh and since ur paying anyways even I would request CX/KA lol
    Elegiaque and hongkong7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbie13:
    Hi everyone,

I am planning a couple of days vacation in Thailand or Bali with one of my friends. She is flying in to meet me in HK for a few days from the UK then we are travelling together from here. What is the cheapest and safest airline to use for these short flights?

Abbie
    You should go to an agent and get a Royal Orchid Holidays package for Thailand (room sharing).

Royal Orchid Holidays (Thai) HONG KONG

Thank you! I will try that

I looked at the Royal Orchid Holidays in Thailand blab. It's obvious that HIGH season begins 1 November as after that date, all promotions end and rates zoom up. Better go now.

wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    You should go to an agent and get a Royal Orchid Holidays package for Thailand (room sharing).

Royal Orchid Holidays (Thai) HONG KONG
    Do I get to share a room with them?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Do I get to share a room with them?
    Only if u ask nicely