Like Tree26Likes

Self service bag drop coming to HKIA

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I love using the self service supermarket checkout at our local Coles supermarket when we visit Melbourne, it works excellent.
    Now, if we could just have these introduced in HK supermarkets, that would be getting with the programme.
    Wellcome in Sai Kung has a self checkout, but as with everything in HK, it's utterly useless. I have never actually see someone using it.
    You are only allowed to purchase items with a barcode, no fruit etc and you can only pay Octopus or Paywave below 500 HKD. Why do they even bother?
    Skyhook and Stu79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    You are only allowed to purchase items with a barcode,
    Right, that's only 99.9% of items they have.

I never tried it in HK, but since I just usually buy very few items, and if the line is long, I would certainly try that.

Wellcome in Sai Kung has a self checkout, but as with everything in HK, it's utterly useless. I have never actually see someone using it.
    You are only allowed to purchase items with a barcode, no fruit etc and you can only pay Octopus or Paywave below 500 HKD. Why do they even bother?
    I haven't shopped at Wellcome or Park n Rob in Sai Kung since Fusion opened at Centro, which has to be the best super market experience in Hong Kong. Love it, as they have kept the walk in daily shoppers away, in preference to car owners who do one large family shop a week.

Wellcome Sai Kung on the weekends is just an infuriating waste of peoples free time at the best of time, absolutely HATED going there prior to a vastly superior alternative came along. Fusion at Centro plaza is about the most European way to park and shop that I know of to be honest. It's a no brainer as to how convenient it is, versus nearly everywhere else in HK, that just shits me to death with all the fiddle bumming around. . Anybody that has shopped at suburban supermarkets in Australia, France, Italy, Holland, Belgium, Germany ( Europe overall lets say ) and the USA knows what I mean.

Those stupid point redemption programs ( that the locals love ) are partly responsible for the long cashier queues also. None of that happens at the MUCH better run Fusion in Sai Kung which runs like a ( VERY RELAXING & SPACIOUS ) swiss watch, with zero fuss. Average per customer spend at Fusion would be well over $1000 per trolly VS Wellcomes little dinky baskets of $200 average in Sai Kung. ( Those weekend visiting BBQ charcoal/metal roasting fork buyers are the worst ! )
    Last edited by Skyhook; 18-09-2015 at 11:50 AM.
    Open Casket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Right, that's only 99.9% of items they have.
    Excluding most fruits and veggies. And I never shop within the limit they place on the payment option. Would be useful if they'd accept normal credit cards and had a weigh option, just like in the U.S.

@Skyhook: I've tried Fusion once. It sure is nice and empty, but it seemed to be way more expensive than Wellcome.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 18-09-2015 at 12:04 PM.
    Open Casket likes this.

Excluding most fruits and veggies. And I never shop within the limit they place on the payment option. Would be useful if they'd accept normal credit cards and had a weigh option, just like in the U.S.
    Yep these systems ( the ones that work properly ) I have seen in France, Australia and the US. They have scales to weigh fruit / veg etc and an Electronic Funds Transfer terminal attached to each self service kiosk, which can direct debit, or accept credit cards etc

I wouldnt even say its all that new, most modern countries have had these self serve POS systems for maybe what, 10 Years already, a natural progression thanks to barcodes.

@Skyhook: I've tried Fusion once. It sure is nice and empty, but it seemed to be way more expensive than Wellcome.
    I think it depends, I have noticed the other way around on some items, yet on others yes they can be dearer. depends what you buy I suppose.

They just started selling 1.5 litre bottles of Peach Tea by an Italian supplier at our Fusion ( which I LOVE ) for $10.90hkd a bottle. That's not expensive to me, I also like the fact that they have been mixing/concentrating a lot of unique European brands and change them periodically so customer boredom doesnt set in. Nup, Fusion in Sai Kung rocks ! Fusion in Clear Water Bay by comparison absolutely SUCKS. So ours is definitely operating differently, more specific to Sai Kungs demographic. We have a growing French, Spanish, Italian community which is a breath of fresh air and I can see the influence on this Fusion supermarket via the surge in French/Italian/Spanish brands that they carry.

Prices in Sai Kung are pretty similar across the board, we are the MOST expensive area in Hong Kong to shop for groceries... One of the things you accept when you move to Sai Kung. You gotta pay your way .
    Last edited by Skyhook; 18-09-2015 at 12:44 PM.
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Yep these systems ( the ones that work properly ) I have seen in France, Australia and the US. They have scales to weigh fruit / veg etc and an Electronic Funds Transfer terminal attached to each self service kiosk, which can direct debit, or accept credit cards etc

I wouldnt even say its all that new, most modern countries have had these self serve POS systems for maybe what, 10 Years already, a natural progression thanks to barcodes.
    Walmarts in the US have been doing this for years, I would guess 10 or more years. One thing you do notice at Walmarts in the US, they will have dozens of automated check outs, but they will also have 1 dedicated employee to assist and help with any issues.

You occasionally get the moron who would try to buy tobacco, alcohol or even gun ammo through the automated system, which obviously you can't do due to age restrictions.
    Skyhook likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Yeah, I tried to find information on how many flights actually board/disembark from jetways/gates vs ground loading at Hong Kong airport. East Coast, maybe you can find this info ?

I travel quite a bit for business and it seems more and more I am taken out to the plane on a bus these days. Admittedly, I choose cheap flights and typically fly into China and other Southeast Asian destinations (not long haul).

There are 71 gates at the main concourse (10 more gates at the north Satellite concouse, but you need to bus out to that) and I think Hong Kong can land about 70 planes per hour...and I know passenger traffic is increasing every year.

To put that into some comparison... Hartfield airport in Atlanta has 191 gates JFK in NYC 125 gates

It seems there are a shortage of gates at Hong Kong airport relative to the number of flights in and out. I'll have to do some more research..
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Walmarts in the US have been doing this for years, I would guess 10 or more years. One thing you do notice at Walmarts in the US, they will have dozens of automated check outs, but they will also have 1 dedicated employee to assist and help with any issues.

You occasionally get the moron who would try to buy tobacco, alcohol or even gun ammo through the automated system, which obviously you can't do due to age restrictions.

Yeah Open, I dont think any system is going to be totally moron proof, but it does work for majority of folks that have an IQ higher than Forest Gump.

HKIA introducing self baggage check in wont be any different. For majority of people it will work as per whats written on the tin, but there will be exceptions and assume they will have a supervisor on duty to step in where the tiny fraction of passengers that mess the system up apply.

All good in my opinion.