Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 100LL
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine

Any Travel tips for Zurich

Closed Thread

Hello, I'll be travelling to Zurich next week and going to spend the weekend there. Does anyone have any recommendation on restaurants, sightseeing places etc etc

ma thank for any inputs

Get the one-day travel card and then use it to take the ferry across the lake. You can go all around the lake on the ferry and it's a great and pretty cheap boat trip.

Personally, my "must visit" place in Zurich is the Lindt chocolate factory. You can't go into the factory any more but the factory shop has every kind of Lindt chocolate possible and it's fabulous. You get there on the above mentioned ferry....

emilyli likes this.

Be well behaved and punctual. And bring a heck of a lot of money.

Go see the mountains.

no matter what, make it to Colmar

You don't need to spend a fortune in Switzerland. You just have to be a little judicious with your choice of entertainment and dining. If you happen to be cash-strapped, eating at supermarket restaurants is a great way to make money go further (or Ikea). Or do what we did much of the time, buy some bread, cheese and ham and go and have a picnic in the outdoors. Cheap, tasty and fun!

I've spent a lot of time around Konstanz, and it's one of my favorite places in the world. I think some of the other lakes closer to Zurich would be nice, but for sure Konstanz (incl. Lindau and Meersburg) is special.

Like HK_Katherine said, don't plan on going to restaurants much. Even take-away pizza or kebabs can be expensive.

I didn't know about the Lindt factory. Will have to do that next time.

Please note that train service from Zurich to Germany or Austria and vice versa is currently chaotic (since somebody mentioned Konstanz). Germany is re-establishing EU border checks because of the refugee situation (some if these trains go the DE-AT-CH route), and trains have been simply suspended without the train companies or stations knowing about it recently (= people waiting at the station and no train showing up).

And yes, a Big Mac (not the meal) will set you back HK$ 50+ without drink or anything.

emx likes this.

My friend lives in Zurich and the landlord at his local bar is from Hong Kong.

That's my useless contribution to this thread.

Did you get the flight through fanfares? I've seen Zurich on there a few times recently including this week.