Like Tree8Likes

Long weekend beach holiday in Oct., suggestions?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Long weekend beach holiday in Oct., suggestions?

We're looking for a long weekend relaxing beach holiday with snorkeling in Oct., but it seems to be a bad time of the year. Philippines=rain, Phukhet=currents, Eastern Thailand too far, Bali=expensive flight, Danang=maybe, but no snorkeling? Even considered Ching Mai, as we've never been there, but also rainy and leeches.

Maybe Kaoshing?

We prefer mid-lower end accommodation (no Intercontential Danang for us).

Any ideas??

Are you worried about leeches while snorkelling in Chiang Mai? You know it's landlocked right?

It's a nice place though, well worth a visit.

Why is Eastern Thailand too far if you were considering Phuket and Chiang Mai?

Last edited by Trebor; 29-09-2015 at 01:45 PM.

As a rule, I don't spend money traveling or leaving Hong Kong in Oct, Nov and Dec. The weather is simply too nice this time of year.

Stay in Hong Kong!!! Go hiking, have a picnic at a beach, dine alfesco, ride the star ferry or just walk around town.

You have 9 other months where you'll want to leave, enjoy the next 3 months right here.

rani, Cho-man, Skyhook and 1 others like this.

You can fly directly inexpensively to ching mai and Phukhet, that's why those locations. Any specific recommendations for eastern Thailand that are accessible from HK for just a weekend??
    @Open Casket I was working on a project for several intense months, never got any sort of summer holiday, was working from home, so I'd like to get away, have some quiet time with the husband.

I did think about Tung Ping Chau though. All the people on the weekend would piss me off. Still a bit too hot here to be enjoyable.

Last edited by Elegiaque; 29-09-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    Open Casket likes this.

It's a shame that Samui flights are so expensive.

What about somewhere like Koh Samed, you can drive to Chonburi from the airport in less than 2 hours. Not sure how long the ferry is from Rayong but won't be very long.

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    It's a shame that Samui flights are so expensive.

What about somewhere like Koh Samed, you can drive to Chonburi from the airport in less than 2 hours. Not sure how long the ferry is from Rayong but won't be very long.
    How is the snorkeling around Koh Samed? It does look like a pretty good option. Have you stayed at any of the resorts there? Any recommendations?

Also, did you hire a private car to take you to the pier/Rayong or is it easy to get a bus from the airport?

Never been to Thailand, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    How is the snorkeling around Koh Samed? It does look like a pretty good option. Have you stayed at any of the resorts there? Any recommendations?

Also, did you hire a private car to take you to the pier/Rayong or is it easy to get a bus from the airport?

Never been to Thailand, actually.
    Ive not been to samet but friends have and say its decent as its actually national park land so fairly unspoiled.

Taxis are pretty cheap from the airport and that's how i usually get down to the eastern seaboard but ive recently bought a property in a place called Bang Sare and im flying out tonight and hiring a car to drive down myself for a change.
    wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Ive not been to samet but friends have and say its decent as its actually national park land so fairly unspoiled.

Taxis are pretty cheap from the airport and that's how i usually get down to the eastern seaboard but ive recently bought a property in a place called Bang Sare and im flying out tonight and hiring a car to drive down myself for a change.
    Thanks! Yeah, looking at it and the "resorts" there, there seems to be a kind of simple vibe to it (a bit like Koh Rong in Cambodia). This does seem to be like what we're looking for!!! Thank you for the suggestion and help.

You're not doing Air B&B with your place are you?

So, prices I've seen quoted on the web say about $600hkd for a private car from the airport to Rayong/Ban Phe pier. Is that about right? And do you have a go-to-guy for booking the drive? It seems the bus would take more like 4 hours, so it's probably worth it to find a car or car share. I guess it's not worth it to book a transfer flight to Utapao-Rayong airport?

Again, if you have specific recommendations for a particular guesthouse or resort, please let me know.

And, do you know from your experience if this is a good time for the waters in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Thanks! Yeah, looking at it and the "resorts" there, there seems to be a kind of simple vibe to it (a bit like Koh Rong in Cambodia). This does seem to be like what we're looking for!!! Thank you for the suggestion and help.

You're not doing Air B&B with your place are you?

So, prices I've seen quoted on the web say about $600hkd for a private car from the airport to Rayong/Ban Phe pier. Is that about right? And do you have a go-to-guy for booking the drive? It seems the bus would take more like 4 hours, so it's probably worth it to find a car or car share. I guess it's not worth it to book a transfer flight to Utapao-Rayong airport?

Again, if you have specific recommendations for a particular guesthouse or resort, please let me know.

And, do you know from your experience if this is a good time for the waters in that area?
    No point flying to Utapao no.

Just get a taxi meter from the airport or an airport AOT Limousine. It will cost you around 500hkd for the former (flat rate they won't use the meter) and maybe closer to HKD 900 for the latter.

My place has literally just been finished so it's not (fully) furnished yet and I doubt i'll have time to sort anything out in that respect before the end of this year anyway. The pool is still being built so probably not the best option for you even if it was in 'move in' condition. It's not on Koh Samet anyway.

Can't recommend anywhere having not been, not sure on the water quality either but it's approaching high season so should be ok
    Elegiaque likes this.

We've just booked a week in KL (cathay flights 5000 for 2 adults 1 child return) with three days in Krabi (less than 400 HKD each return). The hotels in Krabi are ridiculously cheap. That could be an option. In fact, get to KL and you've got some amazingly cheap getaways - you could go to Terrenganu then a speedboat to Perhentien (best beach and water I've been to in my time in Asia).

I think all over SEA October is meant to be rainy season but we've been away every October since we arrived 5 years ago, and never had rain (damn- there, I've jinxed it).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast