Like Tree276Likes

Express Rail Link - Kowloon - Futian - Shenzhen North

Closed Thread
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 38 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Given the cost it is very difficult to see how it can be a net benefit to Hong Kong.
    Especially when your mind is already made up before one train has even rolled

Original Post Deleted
    Once again...anyone that disagrees with him is an idiot. The man knows not how to be civil and vulgarity is his tool. Unlike you, the other poster doesn't feel the need to call people idiot, use profanity and foul language to make a point. Far easier to respect people with different opinions when they can articulate a point without peppering it with insults and vulgarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Especially when your mind is already made up before one train has even rolled
    I try yo look at the numbers to form an opinion rather than 'making my mind up'. Perhaps ticket prices can be trebled and passenger numbers still remain high

I was planning on going to Shenzhen tomorrow and will probably take the East Rail line. How likely will the chance be to get 2 tickets to Futian on the new rail in the morning or is it expected to be sold out and packed considering tomorrow will be the first day opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    I was planning on going to Shenzhen tomorrow and will probably take the East Rail line. How likely will the chance be to get 2 tickets to Futian on the new rail in the morning or is it expected to be sold out and packed considering tomorrow will be the first day opening.

Look online?

https://www.ticketing.highspeed.mtr.com.hk/

Are Mainland tickets available at cost price, or is there a commission?

https://www.highspeed.mtr.com.hk/en/...se-way-hk.html

Mainland Domestic Ticket is available at ticketing counters operated by China Railway (Hong Kong) Holdings Ltd. at Hong Kong West Kowloon Station. Tickets will be issued upon purchase

Original Post Deleted
    Thanks. If I were to book the mainland tickets online using ctrip, would I be able to collect them at HK WKT?

So I ended up taking the train from West Kowloon to Futian. It took 13mins and 39 seconds from start to stop. I took the 12:00 train and arrived at the terminal at 11:15. Immigration was fast, no line ups, but the machine for the fingerprints had problems and I had to go through a different lane which took a little bit of time.

The return trip was 12mins and 48 seconds but the immigration was much longer. We did take the last train from Cuts in so maybe that was a reason.

Original Post Deleted
    So if the team that took the old route had not taken 1 hour to get from Causeway Bay to Hung Hom they would of won!

At that time of day it is a 10 min door to door ride. The could of left the office at 6:55 in to catch a 7:25 train. The old route could of won by by 15 mins. As for majority of Hong Kong people, they live in the New Territories so where rail links exist to Shenzhen these would still seem preferable.

The HSR route had a taxi for the last leg. Fine on a Sunday but Monday AM you could probably ad 20 mins due to congestion.

Again the government was a little silly using a '45 min to Guangzhou' campaign as it clearly was never going to be close to this.

But obviously the new HSR offers more connections and seems ideal if you are visiting Shantou or Changsha or travelling from Central / TST to Futian.
    Last edited by East_coast; 24-09-2018 at 06:47 AM.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    So if the team that took the old route had not taken 1 hour to get from Causeway Bay to Hung Hom they would of won!
    But they didn't. That's the whole point of the exercise. It's real world timing, not the hypothetical which you're mired in. Why are you unwilling to accept reality? I mean the same could be said for HSR, if it wouldn't have taken them 40 minutes to get to Kowloon and if it wasn't packed due to opening day they could've taken the 8:05 train. The taxi ride in Guangzhou took almost 50 minutes. It's a clear indicator that she did experience traffic even on a Sunday. Any more traffic and the subway would've been faster. Anyhow, the ad campaign was that Kim wins, which he clearly did, even to Tianhe where the the other trains have an advantage due to the location of the Guangzhou East station. Tianhe is the modern CBD, but not every journey ends there. Furthermore, once Guangzhou North opens followed by Guangzhou Central and hopefully ticketing and immigration can be improved through automation then most journeys to Guangzhou will benefit from the new arrangement.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 24-09-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 38 ... LastLast