Travel from Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Travel from Hong Kong

Hi,

I will be in Hong Kong till June 09...Its my first time in Asia and I want to do some travelling/exploring around the surrounding areas.

Can anyone suggest some places to go for short trips (preferably weekends as Im working) but will also look into doing a longer trip in june before I head home to UK.

Is Thailand/Malaysia/Cambodia/Philipeenes/Bangkok feasible for a weekend trip or would you need longer?

Im doing a trip to Macau soon so any suggestions other than this would be useful!

Thanks for your help

deleteduser

Those are all great weekend trips, Taiwan is fun as well. Going a bit further out, like Japan and Korea, you'll probably want to spend a little more time.

Macau is boring, IMO. But I don't smoke or gamble so there's nothing (that I know of) that could possibly appeal to me there

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    Macau is boring, IMO. But I don't smoke or gamble so there's nothing (that I know of) that could possibly appeal to me there
    The food? Some excellent little Macanese restaurants there. And the Portuguese wine.

Macau is fine for a weekend. You can visit the Venetian and gawp at the sheer incredibility of it all, even if you don't like that sort of thing. You can go to Coloane and walk along the beach or ramble through the hills over there. You can eat out at the great little restaurants, all much more laid back than HK. You can wander around the main town centre and look at the churches and colonial architecture and museums. Can do all that in one weekend.

As for further afield, I did a day-trip to Manila yesterday, so a weekend is surely possible! Bankok is only a 2.5 hour flight away, HK airport is fast and convienient so anywhere that takes less than about 5 hours of travel (all up, door to door) is feasible for a weekend if you leave on Friday night and perhaps travel back on Monday morning early.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 17-10-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Agreed, Taiwan is lovely - only 1 hour 20 mins away and cheap as chips once you get there. You can pick up flights and a hotel package for 2 nights for a little over 100 quid per person

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    Those are all great weekend trips, Taiwan is fun as well. Going a bit further out, like Japan and Korea, you'll probably want to spend a little more time.

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    Agreed, Taiwan is lovely - only 1 hour 20 mins away and cheap as chips once you get there. You can pick up flights and a hotel package for 2 nights for a little over 100 quid per person
    Really? Who is offering a package like that for $1500?

Thanks guys, thats filled me with a bit more confidence in being able to do short trips...I did worry that 'decent' places would be just that little bit too far!

If the Venetian is anything like the one in Vegas, which I did in the summer, Im quite happy to just go and look without gambling! The place is ridiculous!

MovingIn07: Would you recommend a trip to Manilla...this is on my list (which is growing all the time!! Theres so much to do, dont think im gonna fit it all in!!

Manila is fascinating - but I go on business and get to meet the people. Not sure if its a classic "holiday spot"! I think Cebu (for diving, beaches etc) is more the holiday spot but Manila is manic - busy - traffic jams and jeepneys - seen some museums and historic places (Fort Bonafacio etc).

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The food? Some excellent little Macanese restaurants there. And the Portuguese wine.
    I'd like to find out more about this... Might be worth making another trip if the food is that good!

Well my favourite is A Petisqueira on Taipa. Ask them to take the home made cheese out of the fridge when you start so that it is ready to eat later with some port.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast