Like Tree27Likes

New Cathay livery, what do you think?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My liver is doing fine.

What can't people use the term "uniform"? I had to look up what livery meant. I thought it was some Rolls Royce leather interior.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    What can't people use the term "uniform"? I had to look up what livery meant. I thought it was some Rolls Royce leather interior.
    Because no one uses "uniform" to describe the design on an aircraft. It has and always been "livery".
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Google search gives me a definition of livery as "uniform". If Iivery means design, why don't they just use design?

Google search gives me a definition of livery as "uniform". If Iivery means design, why don't they just use design?
    Because that has always been the custom. Simple as that.

Why can't we call typhoons as "hurricanes"?

Why can't we call trucks as "vehicle with wheels?

Why can't we call a mountain as "hill"?

Get my drift?
    Last edited by Cho-man; 03-11-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Maybe in the UK that is the custom, but as UKers are no longer the English-speaking majority in HK I could do with a more familiar term (to me). It's a trunk not a boot, a hood not a bonnet, a sweater not a jumper, you get me.

Maybe in the UK that is the custom, but as UKers are no longer the English-speaking majority in HK I could do with a more familiar term (to me). It's a trunk not a boot, a hood not a bonnet, a sweater not a jumper, you get me.
    Livery is a pretty universally accepted term for the design on an aircraft. No one seems to have an issue with it...except for you.

P.S- Typhoon is not a UK term, it is used to describe mature tropical cyclones in the northwest pacific west of the dateline. East of the dateline, it is referred as hurricane.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 03-11-2015 at 02:27 PM.

Actually a more apt term is "paint job". But since Cathay is a Brit firm, they can use Brit terms. Learn something new every day.

Cho-man likes this.

Actually a more apt term is "paint job". But since Cathay is a Brit firm, they can use Brit terms. Learn something new every day.
    Google for "Livery London" and you'll get a new lesson.

I thought livery was a uniform and a limo company - that's what they are in North America.
    Recently I met an ex soldier, working in a Livery Company in London - I though he was a driver until we talked some more and I realised that he is not really driving much of anything. Then I learned about London Livery companies.....

"Paint job" would be a more accurate name in terms of descriptiveness. But livery is not a British-only term, it is used in America to refer to aircraft logo too.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 03-11-2015 at 02:56 PM.
    Skyhook likes this.

O.K time to put this puppy to bed.

As modern English has a large percentage of French words ( spelling ) ( sometimes different vocabulare ) the word Livery, originates from livré, which means dispensed or handed over. Most often it would indicate that the wearer of the livery ( symbol, insignia or uniform ) was a servant, dependant, follower or friend of the owner of the livery, ( be it Heraldry, religious or corporate symbol/uniform to identify its master or owner ) or, in the case of objects, that the object belonged to them.

Last edited by Skyhook; 03-11-2015 at 03:35 PM.
    Cho-man and Rob2020 like this.