Like Tree28Likes

Uber X just launched in HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Uber is great..

I have always used them even in Bali. I have been told that Indoneisai is so unsafe (but I think Bali is an exception). Now I wouldn't use one in Jakarta.

Anyways the Hk taxi is just BS. They still don't offer Amex. Anyways I'm glad that they invest in HK. I especially like their 7 seaters I'm sick of finding two taxis if I've 5/ 6 passengers. If uber allows pre booking service like taxis in Singappe then it would be perfect.

i have had one trip in Hk where it took the driver an hour to get to Fortreshill from central, Uber kindly offered me a free trip after I logged my compliant.

Tried UberX the other day and got a Mercedes C Class. Great ride.

I tried it on tues. got a nice clean car within 5 mins from happy valley to kowloon, the driver was well mannered and understood English. I was really shocked by the price 188hkd including west harbour tunnel. I was willing to pay 250. I think the hk taxi industry for long rides are over.

shri and Rob2020 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Base fare HK$10. Then HK$1 per minute / HK$6 per KM. Miniumum fare HK$30. These are smaller, less luxurious cars.

Price point very close to taxi fares?

http://newsroom.uber.com/hong-kong/2015/12/uberx/
    Saw this when it changed and meant to post it but forgot. Makes this much more interesting as a possibility for me. Been using them to good effect in Manila and BKK recently. In Manila they are a huge improvement on local taxis.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    I tried it on tues. got a nice clean car within 5 mins from happy valley to kowloon, the driver was well mannered and understood English. I was really shocked by the price 188hkd including west harbour tunnel. I was willing to pay 250. I think the hk taxi industry for long rides are over.
    But with a Taxi this would be 100hkd.
    thats what I pay from happy valley to kwun tong

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    But with a Taxi this would be 100hkd.
    thats what I pay from happy valley to kwun tong
    The west harbour tunnel is at least 60 alone so that comment doesn't scan at all.

But he did say Kowloon, not Kwun Tong. That was a red herring thrown in by someone else.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    But he did say Kowloon, not Kwun Tong. That was a red herring thrown in by someone else.
    Exactly. Comparing an Uber going via the Western Harbour tunnel to a taxi going via cheaper tunnel where the destination is unknown is pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    The west harbour tunnel is at least 60 alone so that comment doesn't scan at all.
    Taxi's only pay $55, though granted that's not a huge discount....

Tried one once and couldnt even find the entrance to the Ritz Carlton. Havent used them since as there are never any of them around in this area.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast