Like Tree28Likes

Uber X just launched in HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

used uber in bangkok. seems to work fine there.

Used a lot of Uber X in KL and have always found the service to be well above that of the local taxis.

Only times I have used Uber was in weird spots where there were no taxis or I had something heavy and didn't want to walk to a road that would have taxis with the weight. Always great having guys that can speak English, have nice cars and don't drive like maniacs or give me motion sickness with the accelerator hopping. Will try Uber X next time if they are in the area.

Tried Uber from Kwai Fong a few nights ago. Complete fail. No availability of ANYTHING except a van (not sure if that works for just people). What I don't understand is that when I was in BKK I was getting "17 mins" as a waiting time... from where I was I reckon an Uber could have got to me in less than that from most places in HK... so why just show nothing????? (And that includes uber taxi, which I would have tried...). IN the end a cab came by (it was a long cab queue, hence the test).

Looks like the powerful taxi licence holding lobby is winning the day

The flag falls: Seven Uber drivers in Hong Kong face driving charges | South China Morning Post

Expect the taxi service to continue to get worse as the pro-beijing Legco transport seat still needs the taxi licence holders vote.

To combat Uber the Government should

1) Print more fixed term licences and auction them off
    2) Set a minimum % of takings that should go to the driver

Cho-man and bookblogger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Looks like the powerful taxi licence holding lobby is winning the day

The flag falls: Seven Uber drivers in Hong Kong face driving charges | South China Morning Post

Expect the taxi service to continue to get worse as the pro-beijing Legco transport seat still needs the taxi licence holders vote.

To combat Uber the Government should

1) Print more fixed term licences and auction them off
    2) Set a minimum % of takings that should go to the driver
    What a "surprise", the government snuffing out competition to protect vested interest. HKTV, Jetstar and Uber are victims of this anti-competitive policy. Don't hold your breath it will change anytime soon.

Given this reality, I wonder if the new Innovation Bureau is no more than a slush fund to divert cash to well-connected enterprises, and not to the most promising. More than likely I think.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 16-01-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Uber X just launched in HK

I started using Uber in SZ last week, used it a couple of times and even in the remotest locations (think factories) it only takes a few minutes and works without drama.

On the Innovation Bureau, you might not be far off. Have you ever wondered how the worst in customer support or corporate responsibility get awarded "Best Of" in exactly those categories? I think in the future some of the large corporations may also snatch some innovation funding, just because they have the resources, network and steam to go through the motions...

Last edited by 100LL; 16-01-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    What a "surprise", the government snuffing out competition to protect vested interest. HKTV, Jetstar and Uber are victims of this anti-competitive policy. Don't hold your breath it will change anytime soon.

Given this reality, I wonder if the new Innovation Bureau is no more than a slush fund to divert cash to well-connected enterprises, and not to the most promising. More than likely I think.
    Am surprised HK government allowed Netflix in actually.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Am surprised HK government allowed Netflix in actually.
    Netflix is not broadcasting.
    Is there any legitimate (using existing laws on the books) way the govt could have blocked them?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Netflix is not broadcasting.
    Is there any legitimate (using existing laws on the books) way the govt could have blocked them?
    Since when has the government needed legitimate reasons?