• 1 Post By HowardCoombs
  • 1 Post By Azuremain
  • 1 Post By Morrison
  • 1 Post By jobin
  • 1 Post By drumbrake

Early morning departure - Chiang Mai

Closed Thread

Early morning departure - Chiang Mai

I booked an Air Asia 6:00 AM Chiang Mai to Hong Kong flight which looked good on paper .

Advice on how early to arrive at the airport, a close hotel to stay at and transport options for the morning would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chaing Mai airport is pretty close to the town - at that time in the morning there is almost no benefit in staying at an airport hotel. Just stay downtown. Its only about 20 mins in a cab to the airport.

If you want to choose a hotel nearer rather than further away, just go onto Agoda and use the map function. It's pretty easy to see where everything is.

Golden Hawk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Hawk:
    I booked an Air Asia 6:00 AM Chiang Mai to Hong Kong flight which looked good on paper .
    I did the same for Osaka. Looked brilliant on paper but......
    The night before is going to suck badly
    but in the process I saved about 12,000HKD (family of 5) so I will suck it up no matter how much it sucks.
    Golden Hawk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Hawk:

Advice on how early to arrive at the airport, a close hotel to stay at and transport options for the morning would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Spent the night before at the Regal Hotel. It's just 5 minutes walking distance to the departure terminals, The rooms are sound proof with two thick window layers and 20 centimeters space between them. I slept there better than at home. The room interiors are a bittle dated but it's clean and spacious. If the queue is too long in the morning, you can self checkout by just dropping a note in their express checkout box in the lobby. The Mariott is also at the airport, but you need to take a shuttle bus. I saved a lot of money by taking an early morning flight despite the night at the Regal.
    Golden Hawk likes this.

Stay anywhere in old town or surroundings or even as far away as the zoo.
    Just make sure you have a taxi secured in da morning.
    Best would be hotel taxi, eg Grandview hotel has its own fleet.
    The ride takes about 15 minutes in the morning.
    The airport is very small, 1 minute from entrance To counter, max 15 for passport and security.
    And then you are at the gate already
    In your shoes, I would leave at 4:30- 4:45

Golden Hawk likes this.

Thanks all for the helpful information!

4.30 am tuk-tuk about 150/200 baht, depending on distance to airport. Make arrangements the night before, and get his phone #.

Golden Hawk likes this.

Air Asia - cheap flights (sometimes), occasional weird departure times, at least there is only one airport in Chiang Mai.

Golden Hawk likes this.