Like Tree60Likes

Six months left in In Honkers: the bucket list.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

99. Blame the mainlanders for something.

Cho-man likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I did the entire for the first time recently and must agree. Once you get past Wan Chai going east, it gets pretty boring. Recommend the tram that turns around by the market (Whity street i think)

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    not all bats live in caves. many roost in buildings, under bridges or structures and trees.
    there is very few bridges here, tunnels ( apart from the new border cross which isn't complete, there is a small one from the old sha tau kok rail 100 years ago, not sure about the trees in the woods, but the ones in the village, they only perch on their during night time, there are very few delict structures as it's mostly countryside here

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@22.5...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Bats in my village live on the underside of a river bridge.

Open Casket likes this.

Take a ride on the upper deck of the rickshaw bus along Hong Kong island at night : it's fun : the bus really hammers along Hennessey road

Quote Originally Posted by Ehiogu:
    Another one I just thought of: picnic at Fei Ngo Shan.

Actually things like going to Fei Ngo Shan appeal more because they're not really the touristy things, but things that really sum up 5 years of life in HK for me.

I don't have rose-tinted glasses about HK: it has been very kind to us in our time here, and even though I'm very excited about moving on, I'll miss this place.
    - Fei Ngo Shan is well worth it indeed - if you can, add:
    - Sharp Peak
    - the ridge at the top of Ma On Shan - one the best view you can get in HK
    - Sunsrise from Lantau Peak - gorgeous
    - Pat Sin Leng on a good day - hard to beat!

I'd also add the Helicopter ride as some suggested.
    If you have the time and never did it, a few Dragon Boat trainings and join the main race in Stanley early june
    Last edited by Mat; 15-01-2016 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    there is very few bridges here, tunnels ( apart from the new border cross which isn't complete, there is a small one from the old sha tau kok rail 100 years ago, not sure about the trees in the woods, but the ones in the village, they only perch on their during night time, there are very few delict structures as it's mostly countryside here

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@22.5...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Bats (order Chiroptera) comprise almost half of the mammal species in Hong Kong. Among them, 14 species are cave dwelling. Ten of these are widely distributed in the water tunnels and abandoned mines of Hong Kong. These include Rickett's Big-footed Myotis and Common Bent-winged Bat which were thought to be either rare or uncommon in the past. Some species are common in both rural and urban areas. For example, Short-nosed Fruit Bat, which roosts under the fronds of the Chinese Fan-palm in parks and playgrounds, and Japanese Pipistrelle, which roosts in man-made structures like air-conditioners. The recently discovered species, Greater Bamboo Bat, is only recorded in the Plover Cove Country Park while Lesser Bamboo Bat is widely distributed throughout Hong Kong. Among the species recorded by mist net surveys, Least Pipistrelle and Lesser Yellow Bat are uncommon species while Whiskered Myotis, Chinese Pipistrelle, Greater Bamboo Bat and an unidentified pipistrelle are rare species. The rare Horsfield's Myotis is restricted inside the weepholes at the water tunnels in Shek Kong, Tung Tze and Nam Chung. There is no record of Daubenton's Myotis, Black-bearded Tomb Bat and Fringed Long-footed Myotis in recent years and the status of these three species is poorly known. Wrinkle-lipped Free-tailed Bat has been recorded in many parts of the urban areas during early winter. However, no roosting site of this species has been found in Hong Kong. The individuals recorded were probably either stray or foraging into Hong Kong from nearby roosting sites outside Hong Kong.
    Last edited by Open Casket; 15-01-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Bats (order Chiroptera) comprise almost half of the mammal species in Hong Kong. Among them, 14 species are cave dwelling. Ten of these are widely distributed in the water tunnels and abandoned mines of Hong Kong. These include Rickett's Big-footed Myotis and Common Bent-winged Bat which were thought to be either rare or uncommon in the past. Some species are common in both rural and urban areas. For example, Short-nosed Fruit Bat, which roosts under the fronds of the Chinese Fan-palm in parks and playgrounds, and Japanese Pipistrelle, which roosts in man-made structures like air-conditioners. The recently discovered species, Greater Bamboo Bat, is only recorded in the Plover Cove Country Park while Lesser Bamboo Bat is widely distributed throughout Hong Kong. Among the species recorded by mist net surveys, Least Pipistrelle and Lesser Yellow Bat are uncommon species while Whiskered Myotis, Chinese Pipistrelle, Greater Bamboo Bat and an unidentified pipistrelle are rare species. The rare Horsfield's Myotis is restricted inside the weepholes at the water tunnels in Shek Kong, Tung Tze and Nam Chung. There is no record of Daubenton's Myotis, Black-bearded Tomb Bat and Fringed Long-footed Myotis in recent years and the status of these three species is poorly known. Wrinkle-lipped Free-tailed Bat has been recorded in many parts of the urban areas during early winter. However, no roosting site of this species has been found in Hong Kong. The individuals recorded were probably either stray or foraging into Hong Kong from nearby roosting sites outside Hong Kong.
    Ok, Sir David Attenborough , got your point

please explain after living in sha tau kok from 2007 to 2010, how come i haven't encountered any snakes, centipedes, scorpions or why haven't i seen a firefly only once in hk (1996) and nowt since then

Years ago, I followed an underground water tunnel from Shek Pik to Keung Shan, and the ceiling of it was thick with bats.

Open Casket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Years ago, I followed an underground water tunnel from Shek Pik to Keung Shan, and the ceiling of it was thick with bats.
    I have to ask, why?