Like Tree5Likes

Booking flights.. DIY online or travel agent?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yeah I noticed flights have got cheaper recently. We flew to London with Virgin Atlantic for Xmas and it was a good price and in very nice new planes with good entertainment and (most importantly) plug sockets! Don't recommend the 15 quid Wi-Fi though... It was unavailable for much of the flight.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    It does depend on how flexible nickelodeon1997 is, but I see a return to Manchester direct on Cathay for $7250 next week...
    It's probably cheaper as its flying to Manchester.......! :P

On my Facebook there seems to be a recent spate of ads from Emirates going on about cheap flights so the other day I took the bait and checked out the prices for both a return to UK and more local flights to Bangkok and Taipei.

If I'm not mistaken there were flights to Heathrow for just under $7k, of course this would be dependent on things like which days of the week you flew on.

Play around on skyscanner

That's not a great price for a UK return right now...
    that was the cheapest I could find during the last 10 days or so..
    saw China Eastern had a flight going to London and it was priced at around 2k.. with all the fees on top-the total came to 10k lol KLM was the same, cheap tickets below 5k, total came to 10k with tax =_=

Quote Originally Posted by nickelodeon1997:
    that was the cheapest I could find during the last 10 days or so..
    saw China Eastern had a flight going to London and it was priced at around 2k.. with all the fees on top-the total came to 10k lol KLM was the same, cheap tickets below 5k, total came to 10k with tax =_=
    Less than a week ago, I bought a KLM flight, return from Hong Kong to Leeds in April/May. The quoted 'fare' was HKD4990, the mandatory taxes/fees/etc. came to $2243, and I chose to pay another $340 to reserve an aisle seat on the HKG<->AMS leg - the AMS<->LBA leg is so short, and on a regional jet at that, that it's not worth paying for a seat reservation.

Whoever has quoted you $5k for taxes/fees, well it sounds like they're ripping you off.

For another random data point, just priced a flight through Amsterdam to Paris, leaving next week: base fare $6030, total including mandatory blah blah $7613 - that's $1583 difference...

Unless there's something odd about your requirements, you're not getting great prices.

Unless there's something odd about your requirements, you're not getting great prices.
    Another data point : Just booked, 2 weeks from now : HKG to LHR via IST with Turkish : $6350 taxes all in.

Virgin - Return to London in April / May - HK$6250 including all taxes.

(booked direct through virgin website; could have got it a few dollars cheaper through an agent, but could use credit card with virgin)

Last edited by drumbrake; 24-01-2016 at 03:49 PM.