View Poll Results: Best place for a long weekend?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seoul

9 40.91%
  • Taipei

13 59.09%
Like Tree21Likes

Seoul v Taipei

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    My mother in law is also vegetarian, but my then gf had guide books on recommended places to eat (sadly Chinese only) for vegan and vegetarians, as Taiwanese People eat less variety of vegetables generally, not as many places as hong Kong suitable for vegetarians (I am not, but friends and relatives are) I don't mind odd non meat meal
    Yes, I tend to google and download wikitravel when I travel - this was back in 2011 when we went to Taipei, and keep a copy plus map of vegetarian places, although my husband is not vegetarian. In the end, I found a few snack options at the night markets, and survived. so far, never been sick from market food. In Seoul, I just go to the markets and eat the leek pancakes and pickles, or head to a monastery for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Incredibly inaccurate for someone who claims to have lived there. It is between 2h and 2:30 on the puyuma trains which run at least once an hour.
    Incredibly inaccurate? Claimed? I was there in 2003-2004 and there was no high speed rail at that time. To catch a train to Hualien one had to leave from Taipei Main Station and go through the mountatins and then down the East Coast past IIlan (sp?). It seems things have changed as it was much longer back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    My husband and I were not impressed and we are quite open minded when it comes to food. I am vegetarian, so found it hard to find veggie only food. Hygiene....ugh.
    I'm also vegetarian and found the food in Taiwan to be largely greasy disgusting shit.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Soul could still be cold in April.
    Is your soul cold or are you refering to a city in South Korea named Seoul?

Thanks so much for all the comments - looks like Taipei is looking like the favourite!

Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eastside_gweilo:
    Incredibly inaccurate? Claimed? I was there in 2003-2004
    Well then guess what...it's 2016.
    Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Yes, I tend to google and download wikitravel when I travel - this was back in 2011 when we went to Taipei, and keep a copy plus map of vegetarian places, although my husband is not vegetarian. In the end, I found a few snack options at the night markets, and survived. so far, never been sick from market food. In Seoul, I just go to the markets and eat the leek pancakes and pickles, or head to a monastery for lunch.
    [食記] 台北松山 蓮香齋♥歐式自助百匯蔬食料理 @ 短髮女孩 ♥ 玉米 Dimii :: 痞客邦 PIXNET ::

Only when you search for vegan places, there are around, but Taiwan is not English friendly place compared to hk
    Thus. Very limited on choice, without research

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Thanks so much for all the comments - looks like Taipei is looking like the favourite!
    What the heck! Just skip the cold and head to .....SINGAPORE!!!! Something for everyone, heh? Yauh Mouh ?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    [食記] 台北松山 蓮香齋♥歐式自助百匯蔬食料理 @ 短髮女孩 ♥ 玉米 Dimii :: 痞客邦 PIXNET ::

Only when you search for vegan places, there are around, but Taiwan is not English friendly place compared to hk
    Thus. Very limited on choice, without research
    Yes, given by the article you just posted, how am I supposed to read that....I think the moment of truth came to us, when my husband and I were in the centre and looked to see the sign advertising a so called popular Taipei restaurant, "Modern Toilet". Liked the Hot Springs, and Xindian, husband not keen on wobbly suspension bridges, but watching people have a back massage with chopping knives used was a hoot. by then I was craving a beer. Just no decent vegetarian food. Saw actually the filthiest toilet, worse than I have seen in Mainland China up near the springs.

bangkok, hanoi, ho chi ming city are also very good