Like Tree11Likes

The end of the 747?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The end of the 747?

News are reporting that the legendary Boeing 747 may be nearing the end of its production life. So what, I can hear you say, its just a plane. But the 747 is not just any old plane. It was the world's first wide-body aircraft. It revolutionized air travel and brought down travel costs, allowing many more travelers to be able to fly. Boeing made a huge gamble on the plane. Had the 747 failed, Boeing would have gone under.

The fact that it is has succeeded in these decades is testament to the fundamental soundness of its design as well as its commercial appeal. But in recent years, it has begun to be replaced by a little smaller but more fuel efficient planes like the 777, 787 and A350. Cathay has phased out most of its 747 from passenger service, but it is still used as a freighter. So the plane will remain as a freighter for many years to come even when we are seeing the start of the end for the 747 as a passenger aircraft.

Here's a salute to the the legendary 747:

Why the sun is setting on the Boeing 747 - CNN.com

So, what do you think of the 747's passing?

Open Casket, Rob2020 and jrkob like this.

more orbituary

greenmark likes this.

I like the 747-400 and will miss it. My most recent trip on one was from HK to Seoul in Oct 2015.

Cho-man likes this.

I think it pretty much comes down to the fact that for a four engine jet the A380 can load more passengers, and now twin engine jets can fly as far as a 747, i.e. they are basically more fuel efficient. The 747-800 hasn't really been a success.

Cho-man likes this.

Jumbo: The Plane that Changed the World
    (documentary, 2014)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0BVOK-Qnc

Cho-man and wtbhotia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I think it pretty much comes down to the fact that for a four engine jet the A380 can load more passengers, and now twin engine jets can fly as far as a 747, i.e. they are basically more fuel efficient. The 747-800 hasn't really been a success.
    Yeah, the -800 hasn't sold well, at least as a passenger airliner. As a freighter, it has sold a bit better, but I'm not sure if they are selling enough freighters to keep the production going.

Maybe it's age is catching up to it's maintenance standards these days, remember seeing this the other day.

Plane spotter captures video of emergency BA flight landing at Heathrow | Metro News

I flew both an A380 and 747-800 last month on my trip home and the A380 was hands down the better plane, it was much quieter and overall more spacious the 747 even in the new configuration. It is time for the 747 to go, we're talking about a 50 year old airframe.

I read somewhere a few months ago that airbus is considering discontinuing the A380 as well, sales have been sluggish and with the introduction of the A350, which can fly nearly as far, there is little need for such a large aircraft.

I'm looking forward to the Global Hyperloop with Mars add-on package which is due any minute now*

*now = between now and the end of time

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skierx:

I read somewhere a few months ago that airbus is considering discontinuing the A380 as well, sales have been sluggish and with the introduction of the A350, which can fly nearly as far, there is little need for such a large aircraft.
    That was until the A380 received a fresh batch of orders from ANA in Japan and Iran Air just a few days ago, so don't count out the A380 just yet.

As for the 747's 50 year old airframe, nothing wrong with that so long as it is still airworthy and airlines find it worthwhile to keep flying it. The B-52 bomber in the USAF is 62 years old, but still in service as we speak.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 03-02-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast