Like Tree39Likes

CX Marco Polo Changes - Green Card

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

CX Marco Polo Changes - Green Card

For those of you who travel with Cathay Pacific fairly lightly, and have the green Marco Polo card, I think you are about to be totally screwed. You now need to travel economy short haul (up to 2750miles) a minimum 10 times per year, or medium haul (up to 3700 miles) a minimum 5 times per year, or long haul (up to 7500 miles) a minimum of 3 times per year, on CX filights (earning club miles) JUST TO RETAIN GREEN. If you don't meet this requirement, you need to pay US$100, otherwise you lose the whole she-bang and you have no status with CX whatsoever. Not even a green member anymore just a poor sucker.

This is my interpretation of the new rules coming in April 15th. Someone tell me if I am misunderstanding.

rani likes this.

If true, this is completely craptastic.

Any benefits of green marco polo status other than priority boarding?

CX Marco Polo

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    Any benefits of green marco polo status other than priority boarding?
    Priority boarding and check in along with premium economy class ticket holders in some airports.
    Last edited by jmbf; 08-03-2016 at 09:09 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Green doesn't get a lounge. That's the whole point! Green gets nothing useful like lounge, extra baggage, etc. All you get is registered in their CRM database and a bloody baggage tag. It's the bottom starting point. Not even a fucking printed newsletter (you get an email, need to be silver to get a printout).

How can a guy that travels with them 9 times per year get completely wiped from their database at the end of the year?

I can understand tightening the requirements for silver and gold and restricting use of lounge etc, that's all fine. But wiping people from the starting point and making them re-register with a US$100 fee per year is pretty stupid as far as I can see.
    shri, irisboards and HK_Katherine like this.

There is plenty of other airlines flying out of HKG.

I don't want to sound like a meanie, but: It really annoys the crap out of me when I'm flying Business Class on CX and have to (a) deal with crowded lounges and (b) regular cluster#$!% at boarding time when sometimes having to queue with/behind 100+ Marco Polo green card holders.

(b) has been largely resolved in the last 12 months, it seems.. but (a) is still an issue. The sooner these get sorted, the better.

Comfort on board is only part of what one is paying for in Business and First Class. A good chunk of it is avoiding the 'Hell is Other People' part and trying to make things as smooth as possible. Happy to pay a premium for these things.

Last edited by Kinch; 08-03-2016 at 09:43 PM.
    mrgoodkat and ramelec like this.

Does the Cathay Amex card give you green status? Not like you have any real benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Does the Cathay Amex card give you green status? Not like you have any real benefits.
    So far it does. And CX Amex elite also gives unlimited free entrance to Plaza Premium Lounge and Priority Pass Lounges 4 times per year.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Yep, its free with the Cathay Amex. I've had it all these years but the priority boarding isnt a great incentive.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast