Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia
  • 1 Post By pin
  • 2 Post By MandM!
  • 1 Post By flameproof

Chinese Visa in Old Passport + New UK Passport

Closed Thread

Chinese Visa in Old Passport + New UK Passport

In the past you could have a Chinese visa in an old passport, and use it with a new passport - is this still possible?

Second question - last time I renewed my UK passport it was at the consulate in Hong Kong, and the clerk asked me if there were any valid visas I wanted to keep before clipping the corners off the old passport. As the passport applications now need to be sent to the UK, what happens to the old passport? Do you need to send it with your application for a new passport? If yes, what would happen to existing visas in the old passport?

1. Yes its still possible
    2. You need to send in your old passport when renewing and your old passport will have the corner cut off but they will not cut the visas that are still valid inside.

drumbrake likes this.

Just to clarify, they send the old (clipped) passport back to you.

drumbrake likes this.

Having a China visa in an old expired passport is no problem at the land borders.

You may want to double check with the airlines in case you fly into China. I didn't see anything about 'visa in expired passports accepted' in the visa DB - which means, they will not let you board the flight. Maybe somebody else can confirm if that's the case or not.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    You may want to double check with the airlines in case you fly into China. I didn't see anything about 'visa in expired passports accepted' in the visa DB - which means, they will not let you board the flight. Maybe somebody else can confirm if that's the case or not.
    As long as you have a valid visa and holding both passports at the time of departure they will let you board the plane, they only care that you have valid visa and wont get rejected in China which means they will have to fly you back for FREEEEEE

The China embassy stapled a paper in my passport that says you can use a valid Chinese visa in an expired passport together with the new passport provided your details are still the same. If you got married or changed your particulars then you need to apply and pay for a new visa.

Name:  2016-04-18 11.23.59.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  1.34 MB
    wtbhotia and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Name:  2016-04-18 11.23.59.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  1.34 MB
    That makes it clear, after a sex change you need a new visa.
    MandM! likes this.

Yes, so best to time your sex change with the renewal of your Chinese visa :-p

I don't know how one would explain that at the Chinese embassy...

does the China Visa state Male or Female LOL, I cant remember if mine does