Recommendations for Phuket in December

Closed Thread

Recommendations for Phuket in December

We are looking to go to Phuket in early December and are trying to sort out accommodation. Our preference is for a smaller / boutique hotel or bungalow (rather than 500+ room hotel,) with a pool but with some privacy, around US$100 per night, close to the beach. Any recommendations appreciated. Am I looking for the impossible?

There are smaller hotels close to Patong beach. You have the right idea not going to a 500+ hotel - we stayed at Sheraton in July - it was overpriced - I have seen better beaches to. Patong is a bit on the rough side though.

I haven't checked which season it is there early December but major price hikes happen -perhaps closer to Xmas ? you don't mention your age and interests -Patong is fine if you don't mind a bit of sleaze and busy beaches - the other options are Nth Patong area -much nicer - and a 10 min walk to the action -or -my preferences Kata beach -Mumma Tris is divine but may be over budget - lets see ;do you want right on the beach - with a view or tucked in a green area? Phuket has so many hotels it is incredible .Personally I go for Central Karon Village (but think its name has changed to Centara Villas) bungalows on hill overlooking the sea -but a walk up and downhill anywhere- its a path downhill to the beach -and a few currents in the water -but several pools, fab food -don't have prices sorry .I don't like the flat part of Karon beach...anything on Kata Hill is nice - Peach Hill is moderately priced but go for the upgraded ones-sigh would love to be there now...check 'Sawaddee' for more ideas or' Trip Advisor' reviews -you are spoiled for choice .

Quote Originally Posted by JAIH1:
    We are looking to go to Phuket in early December and are trying to sort out accommodation. Our preference is for a smaller / boutique hotel or bungalow (rather than 500+ room hotel,) with a pool but with some privacy, around US$100 per night, close to the beach. Any recommendations appreciated. Am I looking for the impossible?
    Last edited by Miss P; 02-11-2008 at 10:00 AM.

stayed Hilton Arcadia Resort just next to Karon Beach. huge complex, many buildings, decent restaurants, spa, tennis....all inside a huge complex (so big you had to take a golf cart from the main gate to the main buildings). the beach, imho, was very plain though. depends on timing too, there were many large companies holding corporate retreats/getaways when i was there. it was constant busy in the lobby and the 3 or 4 pools it had.

but a very nice resort, we had a great time. was not overpriced. i would consider this place again. the main disadvantage (or advantage to some) was that is far away from nightlife of patong beach.

Poster wants more boutique style- no huge concrete multistoreys -personally I get enough of that in HK - so i agree -but you don' t get as many amenities at boutique hotels either or choice of breakfast buffet etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Vancouverite:
    stayed Hilton Arcadia Resort just next to Karon Beach. huge complex, many buildings, decent restaurants, spa, tennis....all inside a huge complex (so big you had to take a golf cart from the main gate to the main buildings). the beach, imho, was very plain though. depends on timing too, there were many large companies holding corporate retreats/getaways when i was there. it was constant busy in the lobby and the 3 or 4 pools it had.

but a very nice resort, we had a great time. was not overpriced. i would consider this place again. the main disadvantage (or advantage to some) was that is far away from nightlife of patong beach.

Thanks

Appreciate the recommendations. Thanks