Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By AGxM

Taken speedboat trip from Phuket/koh samui? boat flipped 3 dead

Closed Thread

Taken speedboat trip from Phuket/koh samui? boat flipped 3 dead

yesterday (26-may 2016) one of those high speed tourist speedboats flipped over, so far 3 dead, one missing

HK woman's body found after Koh Samui boat mishap - RTHK

All over ... a few years ago we were in Penang and someone wanted to para-sail ... and googled around looking for a good operator. The first two or three results included a death a few weeks before we were there.

Changed plans quickly.

itsdawn likes this.

Recently took the speedboat to Koh Samed - trip in and the weather too bad to drop us off at beach so had to use the pier...to say I pooped myself is an understatement. Trip back weather very good, but still fairly nerve wracking. The drivers run the boat as fast as they can, and seem to weave in and out of other traffic with little regard.

Life jackets available but not offered...the driver wore one on the trip out to keep himself dry....!

Natfixit likes this.

Don't go near those over crowded speedboats.

I definitely dont go on those speed boats, those drivers go full blast trying to make as many trips as possible and they are bound to hit rogue waves once in a while that tips the whole boat over, thats why you will continue to see these accidents every year.

another accident two boats crash phi-phi islands two Chinese (doesn't say from where) dead

Two Chinese tourists killed in Phuket boat crash - RTHK

the scmp report on today's phuket crash mentions another accident:

On Sunday 28 people were injured when a speedboat carrying passengers back from an evening music concert on the island of Koh Samet smashed into a container ship.

Container ship?! Not that difficult to spot them I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    All over ... a few years ago we were in Penang and someone wanted to para-sail ... and googled around looking for a good operator. The first two or three results included a death a few weeks before we were there.

Changed plans quickly.
    Many of these are rogue operators wanting to make a quick buck or more. Laws are lax also in these countries. Police will always sides with the natives not the tourist.

I was in Penang two and half years ago, took the train up overnight by myself as my husband was at conference ( wanted to see more than just KL) , and while the hotel ( Norden Mews - cannot recommend it highly enough. Comfy, clean, convenient and great staff, and not over the top in price) I stayed at was great, the rest of Penang was a sewer. Wished I had gone to Melaka instead.