• 2 Post By threelittlepigs
  • 1 Post By Open Casket
  • 1 Post By dpmlicious
  • 2 Post By BCD
  • 1 Post By hullexile

kids traveling with helper

Closed Thread

kids traveling with helper

Does anyone know what a helper needs to bring in order to fly with our kids? We are planning to all fly together to Europe, but me and my wife will travel to a third country on the return while our helper and kids travel back to Hong Kong a week later. I am sure she needs a letter signed by both of us, authorizing her to bring the kids through immigration, but does the airline need anything special?

All travel documents - passports, visas as well as that signed letter along with a photocopy of your's and your spouse's HKID and passport.

Maybe you can notify the airline that your helper aka employee will accompany your children in your absence. Sometimes it is best to cover all bases.

dpmlicious and cookie09 like this.

Just to make sure, maybe check with the airline and the consulates of the country of departure and Hong Kong immigration? It is possible that you will need official letters drafted at one or both ends.

No personal experience with this, just read about this before.

cookie09 likes this.

I've experienced a case where I needed my kids' mother's written consent to fly with my kids without her. Seems customs is careful about parental kidnappings. In your case , even more so, so make sure both you and spouse provide helper with written confirmation, and include contact details in case they need to call you.

dpmlicious and cookie09 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    I've experienced a case where I needed my kids' mother's written consent to fly with my kids without her. Seems customs is careful about parental kidnappings.
    Really? That is crazy? Where was this?
    cookie09 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Into and out of Canada.

I thought this was common practice for all countries these days that other parent needs to provide consent for the children to travel with the one parent. We have been preparing a letter for years now when I'm flying with the kids myself.
    There was at least one high profile case where a kid was abducted out of the country by the father during a bitter divorce battle.

drumbrake and threelittlepigs like this.

I have had to do this as well. There was a poster on here years back whose wife grabbed the kids and flew to the UK. It was a nightmare for him.
    threelittlepigs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BCD:
    I thought this was common practice for all countries these days that other parent needs to provide consent for the children to travel with the one parent. We have been preparing a letter for years now when I'm flying with the kids myself.
    There was at least one high profile case where a kid was abducted out of the country by the father during a bitter divorce battle.
    Read more than a few of these out of Australia. Aussie mum marries middle eastern dad, has kids and he takes them out on a so called family trip and never returns from his home country where the mother has no support nor rights. I had a British friend of Jamaican descent travel to the US with her whiter than white British husband and their white daughter. Hubby and daughter get waved through at customs while she is kept in an interview room, being questioned on is this her kid, why is she here, and the rest. It was extremely stressful for her just because she is dark skinned and her daughter and husband are pale skinned. Europe tends to be less racist in profiling these days , but the shadow of custodial kidnappings hangs long and thick.