Like Tree24Likes

Travelling to Germany from Hong Kong, any tips??

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

That's something people have to elaborate? Everybody knows that. It's overpriced with bad service.

Oh, and it's overpriced.

I always fly Emirates or Singapore to Germany.

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    That's something people have to elaborate? Everybody knows that. It's overpriced with bad service.

Oh, and it's overpriced.

I always fly Emirates or Singapore to Germany.
    Granted, Emirates is great. SIA even better, but a bit of a detour to Europe....
    Cathay is not thát bad service wise I find, overpriced yes.

Look into S7 to Moscow and sometimes there are cheap flights to Cologne, and other small places in Schland. can be as cheap as $ 215 plus 40 one way.
    That was last month. I doubt you can get cheap tix now.
    Don't know about round trips

Assuming you have HK passport, it's a cheap option

If you use Hipmunk it seems there are plenty of flights for under $8000 (round trip) - at least on the dates selected Sat Jul 30 to Sat Aug 6.

https://www.hipmunk.com/flights#f=Ho...9;r=2016-08-06

Have you tried Finnair to Helsinki, then Air Berlin to Germany? BTW, during the European summer months, there are more flights to Germany with Air Berlin, they are also substituting flights as part of the Finnair fleet to fly the masses to Europe. I flew Finnair to Helsinki ( en route to Copenhagen) and the connecting aircraft was Air Berlin. they are good in my experience of years of flying with them. Have you also googled cheap flights to Germany? Even if you cannot get a flight to your destination, trains in Germany are efficient and cheaper than flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones:
    Granted, Emirates is great. SIA even better, but a bit of a detour to Europe....
    Not that much of a detour depending on the destination in Germany. Emirates flies to more destinations. Lay-over vs train trip, comes out the same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    CX can be overpriced. But on the other hand some of its fares are very reasonable. Depends where and when you are flying. I've been to Singapore for $990 (plus taxes) and New York for $6000 (plus taxes) for example.

Bad service? Guess that's relative. Personally I've never had bad service on CX.

OK - second attempt at this post since the forum just lost the last one (weird?).

Anyway - yes Cathay is expensive. But they are not awful - they are actually a good airline with good service.

I recently tried an experiment of not flying Cathay - and flew Jordanian Airlines to Paris. It took longer, but I took a stopover in Amman to visit Petra so that was OK. The service was much worse than Cathay, but I was in Business Class and mostly wanted to sleep, so I lived with that. However, on the return, the attitude of the checkin staff in Paris when we arrived 58 minutes before the flight (due to 2 hours of delay on the train from central paris) was atrocious. They refused to check us in (despite being biz class and hand-luggage only) and then on trying to rearrange the flights refused to move us across to Cathay (they actually lied and said there was no other Cathay flight that day) and that the next available flight in RJ was in 4 days time.....

Unbelievable crap service. (OK - some of this was probably the parisien staff... but even so!)

SO I ended up flying home on Cathay ... booked 4 hours before take-off... Premium Economy redemption seats. Actually slept pretty well, service was excellent and even better we arrived in HK a full FIVE HOURS earlier than we would on the RJ flight!

So now, even though it's probably less economically efficient, we are getting a refund for our return RJ tickets instead of reusing them for the next trip.

My lesson: don't try and find alternative airlines!

Having said that - if you want to get to Europe cheaply, flying through London is often the way to go. Its the most competitive route meaning air fares are much lower (taxes are higher) and you then have a huge variety of options to connect to Europe by air, ferry, train or whatever makes most sense. As others have indicated, you don't have to fly direct to your destination in Europe. There are many options for the final step.

Original Post Deleted
    Icons are : Cool - love - cool

via iPhone on GeoClicks App

Agree with @Natfixit's suggestion. Finnair is pretty decent airline service and cost wise. Timing wise it's even better than CX or Lufthansa when we are going to Hamburg.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast