Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Natfixit
  • 1 Post By Elegiaque

Safe cycling week aka persecution for cycling offences

Closed Thread

Safe cycling week aka persecution for cycling offences

Police will launch a week-long citywide campaign tomorrow (15 June 2016) to promote safe cycling and will take stringent action against cycling offences...

news.gov.hk - Safe cycling campaign to start

Good news. Cyclists here have zero common sense. Never know whether they have decided to be a vehicle or a pedestrian.

Rode the motorbike to Sai Kung the other weekend. The cyclists blocking the road and simultaneously blocking all vehicles behind them was an unbelievable sight.

i bet you any money not a single food delivery or town gas delivery bicyclist will be busted.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Good news. Cyclists here have zero common sense. Never know whether they have decided to be a vehicle or a pedestrian.

Rode the motorbike to Sai Kung the other weekend. The cyclists blocking the road and simultaneously blocking all vehicles behind them was an unbelievable sight.
    Sounds like South Lantau on the weekend. Drivers are hungover and still drive in a straight line and the cyclists are all over the road - the worst are the tourist cyclists who venture over to Lantau and ride like they own the road. Some have earphones on and blinkers like a pedalling dray horse! therefore they cannot hear or see you!!!!
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Sounds like South Lantau on the weekend. Drivers are hungover and still drive in a straight line and the cyclists are all over the road - the worst are the tourist cyclists who venture over to Lantau and ride like they own the road. Some have earphones on and blinkers like a pedalling dray horse! therefore they cannot hear or see you!!!!
    Just a matter of time before one gets hit and killed and leaves behind another family...

Asians can't handle bicycles, whether on them or around them. Asking for trouble....

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Just a matter of time before one gets hit and killed and leaves behind another family...

Asians can't handle bicycles, whether on them or around them. Asking for trouble....
    Well, yes. So rule abiding like araldite when it comes to what is considered the cultural demand yet no idea when it comes to commonsense. Like lemmings over a cliff comes to mind. They do not look when riding out onto the road with their mobile phone in one hand...drives me nuts. I am a responsible driver and bicycle rider, abide by rule written and unwritten, but this absolution of all self responsibility is only as one can describe - Darwin's law of survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:

I have not seen a cyclist without road sense in HK. They are mostly all dead I think. It's the drivers who have no sense here. None at all. I would imagine most cyclists see safety in numbers in the face of such appalling driving.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I have not seen a cyclist without road sense in HK. They are mostly all dead I think. It's the drivers who have no sense here. None at all. I would imagine most cyclists see safety in numbers in the face of such appalling driving.
    People here are fantastic drivers compared to most of Asia with the exception of Japan. Get real.

I've yet to see a) a motorized vehicle blocking all traffic behind it by driving 10kmh in a 50kmh zone for an extended period of time, b) going the wrong way on a one way street (extremely common for cyclists here on smaller streets).

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Careful there, your racism is showing.

Of course a safe cycling campaign in HK is about prosecuting cyclists, not motorists.

But it's not a cycling culture here... I must say I rarely encounter cyclists so I don't know how they are in HK. If they're anything like pedestrians then, yes, I can only imagine they'll all be killed off sooner or later. But that said, one inherent problem with encouraging cycling safety in HK is that unlike in Europe, drivers are *not* cyclists. In Europe, every driver will have been or be a cyclist, too, so they can understand how they cyclist is thinking. But this will never be the case in HK, causing a dangerous situation, which has definitely kept me away from bikes!

HK_Katherine likes this.