Like Tree19Likes

Why don't taxis take credit cards?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    You are very correct. Just had a chat with the person in the Transport Bureau responsible for Taxi policy and he indicated they have no direction at all from their seniors to make significant improvements.

They are going to implement their very limited Premium Taxi service which will give drivers a proper employment contract and a minimum wage and they firmly believe this is a big step in the right direction. Although to a layman it just looks like a scheme to give 3 favoured taxi licence operators more money.

There are NO plans or studies in place to make any other improvements or deregulation. The Bureau also firmly believe there are more than sufficient taxis in Hong Kong. Given taxi mileage is up something like 50% in the last 7 years this is a strange belief to hold with no data to back it up.

The issue is at the executive level of government who do not set target or goals for the bureaus to achieve with policy proposals that can then be reviewed and enacted.

CY Leung's obsession with the mainland is the issue. So yes we can blame this one on the mainlanders also....
    Since when did the HK government give a shit about what is to the benefit of the people?
    Skyhook likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Ok, I'm not posh banker level organised, but even I tend to walk around for days without any cash. Most of the time when I take out cash, it goes to the kids, deliveries etc ...

Not that I take cabs a whole lot, but I can spend days going through my daily routine with my AAVS octopus. I often find myself bumming cash from friends who have I bought drinks for, because I don't have any actual cash on me and/or have not put any money into my 'walking around' HSBC account.

For every exception, there is another exception and some how there are no rules when it comes to anecdotal exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Since when did the HK government give a shit about what is to the benefit of the people?
    Pin - They have put some obvious signs around town, with directions to the airport.
    Rob2020 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Good for you that you're organised, but lots of people aren't. Credit cards are good for people like us.

I think you're familiar with Tuen Mun. You arrive at the Tuen Mun town centre on the bus and want to switch to a taxi to take you home quickly. It's 34 degrees out. Luckily, there's a taxi stand right out front, but not enough money in your wallet.

Go find an HSBC ATM.

https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@22.3...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    They could easily set a minimum cash only limit.

The issue is still the 2.7% the credit card companies take but with good software the could get more tips....
    Wouldn't it be nice if all menial/low paid workers in HK could have tips like they enforce in the USA.

Also for interests sake...

Nobody has rounded up a bill for me this year on the mainland, that includes taxi drivers, fruit and veg grocers, small shops, all of them rounded down... Which is great because loose change absolutely shits me, to death !

Not ending up with 200 grams of coins in your pocket at the end of the day like you do here in HK, is quite nice.

Also, the wireless phone apps that allow you to scan a QR code and pay for things, is reasonably established in China, my brother in laws restaurant across the border recently employed a POS system that is compatible with it. Most young people use that system of payment, so its another thing to consider. Again, Hong Kong is lagging behind.
    100LL likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes, Credit Cards.

Kinda funny that we are bitching about this and we also complain how China is a complete basket case. Yet, they have set up epayment solutions that are light years ahead of what HK has to offer. You can pretty much go about your whole day in China using just WeChat. Able to pay for your coffee, taxi, breakfast, wet market, supermarket, banking transfer, etc, all from your phone.

Original Post Deleted
    You're misunderstanding. Going to a wet markets is most often a pre-planned activity, so I make sure to pass by an ATM. However, the decision to jump in a taxi can be very spontaneous, such as missing a bus, etc

It's ok to admit that you were wrong on the Credit Card issue in taxis. It's more productive than trying to find faults in people's habits. New York is a perfect case study. I'm sure people made similar comments to yours before they started introducing Credit Card in cabs there.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Pin - They have put some obvious signs around town, with directions to the airport.

Let me google that for you

All roads seem to lead to the airport, in dinky little Hong Kong.lol