Like Tree6Likes

Finding the Best Airfares

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My son just booked direct flights London / HK with Cathay Pacific for GBP 370. And I jus booked HK/London Business Class with Etihad for GBP 1660, stopping in Abu Dhabi. There are bargains out there. Try Skyscanner and Kayak.

I'm glad to see some figures on this thread. Those are some cracking fares! HK Airlines can be very cheap for a 'full-service' (of-sorts) carrier. Shanghai, Taiwan, Bangkok and others are often prices at the 1000-1200 mark return.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue88:
    who flies to london for low 4000s?
    Quite a lot of airlines actually.
    I've seen Qatar, Etihad, Air China, China Eastern, Aeroflot, Philippines Airlines, One of the Indian airlines among others advertising return fares including all charges for less then 4500 HKD.
    Obviously these are connecting flights, but they are not necessarily bad connections. You can fly through Moscow in just over 15 hours, which is fantastic for a connection.

Anyone have tips for travel during the peak months of July and August...there doesn't seem to be much difference between the airlines during this period

I'm seeing fares of $10k plus
    That's normal if you want to fly direct. Cathay, BA and Virgin all hover around this price.
    If you are booking for next summer you are looking too early. Apparently seven months before are when the cheap seats are released.
    I've learnt this lesson before. I booked 10 months in advance and a few months later prices fell by £150.
    Blue88, Morrison and Apjace like this.

That's interesting why it's the 7 month mark...but useful info...thanks!!

<deleted>

That's interesting why it's the 7 month mark...but useful info...thanks!!
    It's certainly not a hard and fast rule, but I'm sure I read online that it was the average time when cheaper fares were released.

Of course, it's a big generalization, but shows booking very early isn't always the best plan.

Quote Originally Posted by TeachHK:
    It's certainly not a hard and fast rule, but I'm sure I read online that it was the average time when cheaper fares were released.

Of course, it's a big generalization, but shows booking very early isn't always the best plan.
    The outliers would be more interesting.
    S7 and Aeroflot seem to reduce price 1-2 days before departure

Read recently that Google has a great search capability:
    https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0

Though I haven't used it.
    I've been using Skyscanner myself, and then often times checking directly with airlines, e.g. Cathay / Singapore Airlines, to buy the ticket. I find Cheaptickets HK is okay- but a hassle to deal with if changing / canceling the ticket. On top of the change fee of the airlines, you have to pay a cheaptickets penalty!!