Like Tree24Likes

Getting an International Driving License (HK)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Going to have to suck it up and change my flight to a later one on that day, rush to bloody TD and be 1st in line to get a new IDL and then rush to the airport. DOH!!!!!
    I got a new IDL in March from the TD and I was in and out in under 20 minutes.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quick question:

I have a HK driver's license (and an EU one). I got the International license in HK in the past, and now need to update it by Thursday for a trip to Thailand. I see there are a lot of free appointments at the license office this week. Will they make it immediately and give it to me? Would rather not go in on Monday/Tuesday, but leaving it until Wednesday feels risky!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Quick question:

I have a HK driver's license (and an EU one). I got the International license in HK in the past, and now need to update it by Thursday for a trip to Thailand. I see there are a lot of free appointments at the license office this week. Will they make it immediately and give it to me? Would rather not go in on Monday/Tuesday, but leaving it until Wednesday feels risky!!!
    Firstly, EU license is irrelevant for HK issued IDP.

You should get the permit on the spot though. But better, safe than sorry, go earlier than later.

Saying that, from experience of friends renting in Thailand they don't normally bother with IDP.

International licenses are issued on the spot.

They're issued on the spot. Went to the Sham Shui Po brach with appointment, took 10 minutes.

Be careful, staff at car rental places may not care about IDP, but police or insurance companies may in case of an accident.

Thanks. Do I need to bring 2 passport photos to simply update an international license? I have one already from 2013. Only problem is that in the fine print it says valid only one year.

Thanks. Do I need to bring 2 passport photos to simply update an international license?
    Yes, it is not an update, they are issuing you with a new IDL.

I have one already from 2013. Only problem is that in the fine print it says valid only one year.
    That is correct.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Thanks. Do I need to bring 2 passport photos to simply update an international license? I have one already from 2013. Only problem is that in the fine print it says valid only one year.
    IDP only lasts for one year. Also they are not a licence, but a permit.

Just a friendly reminder for anyone who might read this: you need 2 passport photos (can get them at a Fotomax on the 1/F or some other shops in the center) AND proof of address. In my case a soft copy on my phone worked (thank goodness!). It is indeed very helpful to have booked an appointment as then you don't have to wait in a queue and you can go straight up to a counter specifically for people who booked appointments.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4