Like Tree20Likes

HK Express, how strict is the carry on 7kg allowance enforced ?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Saw security stop a 20+ male traveler at the 1st checkpoint (before screening) because he had a large day pack/small back pack plus a duffel bag.
    I would not like to have to share the cabin space with him as there would be much room for other peoples bags.

In reference to my post above.
    This was at the HK airport. Don't know what airline he was flying.

Quote Originally Posted by shsteve:
    Saw security stop a 20+ male traveler at the 1st checkpoint (before screening) because he had a large day pack/small back pack plus a duffel bag.
    I would not like to have to share the cabin space with him as there would be much room for other peoples bags.
    I take more than this every flight . Never even questioned.

I flew Lufthansa 2 weeks ago in premium economy and they weighed my carry on in HK. It was 2 lbs over so I pleaded with them to let it slide because I couldn't check it in due to all the expensive camera equipment inside. After 5 minutes showing them my fragile Hasselblad equipment I got to take it on board. I have never had any carry on weighed in all my years of air travel and the camera case was never weighed for the rest of the trip in the 3 airports in Europe. The carry on case itself is quite small but it is a roller case so it is about 8 lbs heavier than it looks. I'll ditch it for a back pack style camera bag next time.

Last edited by jonastainine; 08-04-2017 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    I flew Lufthansa 2 weeks ago in premium economy and they weighed my carry on in HK. It was 2 lbs over so I pleaded with them to let it slide because I couldn't check it in due to all the expensive camera equipment inside. After 5 minutes showing them my fragile Hasselblad equipment I got to take it on board. I have never had any carry on weighed in all my years of air travel and the camera case was never weighed for the rest of the trip in the 3 airports in Europe. The carry on case itself is quite small but it is a roller case so it is about 8 lbs heavier than it looks. I'll ditch it for a back pack style camera bag next time.
    Australia is anal about this. I learned years ago that to exit Australia with heavy hand-luggage, you had to put all the light stuff in the wheeled trolley and carry the heavy stuff in a small pack..... They only ever weigh the "heavy looking" item....!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Australia is anal about this. I learned years ago that to exit Australia with heavy hand-luggage, you had to put all the light stuff in the wheeled trolley and carry the heavy stuff in a small pack..... They only ever weigh the "heavy looking" item....!
    I asked the person at the counter why then do they allow all those huge roller cases as carry ons that barely meet the size limit while my bag which is 16"x 10"x8" gets nabbed? She said "that's because they are much lighter than they look"! Right! These things are 8 kilos empty!

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Views on Air Asia out of HKG?
    Answering my own question, had roller with 12kg and small rucksack with about 4kg leaving HKG. No issues.
    Morrison and Dominic N like this.

Did they weigh it though?

I've sometimes had things at 8.5kg weighed, and they still just waved it on, but I'm a bit worried to try a larger amount.

In HK they usually don't weigh it.
    On Taiwan they did once out of two flights I have taken

Only time I remember having carry-on weighed was flying with Eva--two separate flights (HKG-TPE and HKG-YYZ), and weighed in both directions.